Sign in to follow this  
daveoi

Autosure mechanical warranty and modifications

Interested in if anyone has had any experience with an autosure mechanical warranty and has had their ecu flash to a performance map. I have an n54 335i and am interested in using MHD to flash my car to the stage 1 performance map, but am worried about voiding the warranty. If I had issues, and flashed it back to the standard map, would this be picked up and void the warranty?

Cheers!

Keep it to yourself, no insurance assessor boffin will ever know you have done it or have the expertise to check.

Talk to Ray at Hellbm, I'm fairly sure he has the tech to download these ecu's and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

Edit: Also be prepared to replace your charge pipe with an alloy one if it hasn't been replaced already, either i or bm workshop can help you use the alloy as a replacement if it blows while under autosure warranty.

Edited by André3000

Cheers for the quick response. Is there other modifications, similar to the charge pipe, that can be done under the autosure warranty that are considered maintenance and don't void the warranty?

A better intercooler and exhaust would probably be ok. Anything else, within road car reason, would be snatching at small power in contrast to what the n54 is already capable of.

It will all boil down to who your repairer is and how they handle the claim. In saying that if you have Autosure Extreme for the most part you should have no worries.

Autosure and their assessors ( who I know personally) are very aware of what is going on with these and if caught your warranty is void

PS: Insurance fraud either by the repairer or owner of the car will have personal repercussions with insurance companies for the rest of your life. They have a register I'm told

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 2

A better intercooler and exhaust would probably be ok. Anything else, within road car reason, would be snatching at small power in contrast to what the n54 is already capable of.

It will all boil down to who your repairer is and how they handle the claim. In saying that if you have Autosure Extreme for the most part you should have no worries.

"Yes that is correct sir. I put an aftermarket IC, charge pipe and exhaust on the car but didnt touch the ECU its stock and I have no idea why the turbos are blown"

• Like 1

Autosure and their assessors ( who I know personally) are very aware of what is going on with these and if caught your warranty is void

PS: Insurance fraud either by the repairer or owner of the car will have personal repercussions with insurance companies for the rest of your life. They have a register I'm told

That is a really good point - an extra 50 odd hp probably isn't worth the lifetime of insurance headaches if a claim is denied.

• Like 1

I'm exploring alloy charge pipe purely as preventative maintenance.

In that case, from a legal / fair trade perspective;

Insurance companies cannot arbitrarily deny a claim because you've made a modification, even if it is in their terms & conditions.

Particularly if you replaced a rubber hose with a alloy version for durability and your claim is unrelated

It's all about practicality. If you are making the car more reliable, it's in the interests of the insurance company.

However ECU tune probably not the best idea for mechanical insurance lol

Edited by fatjoe

I'm exploring alloy charge pipe purely as preventative maintenance.

In that case, from a legal / fair trade perspective;

Insurance companies cannot arbitrarily deny a claim because you've made a modification, even if it is in their terms & conditions.

Particularly if you replaced a rubber hose with a alloy version for durability and your claim is unrelated

It's all about practicality. If you are making the car more reliable, it's in the interests of the insurance company.

However ECU tune probably not the best idea for mechanical insurance lol

I would agree as well. However, I would still check with them first and have it agreed upon in writing first. Arguing later will only financially disadvantage you