Sign in to follow this  
ttcw

No CEL on startup

Hi all,

As title states, my 1998 E46 CEL does not light up (nor does the other warning lights in the bottom left cluster) when key is in run position. I have done instrument cluster check and it does light up, and I have checked the 3x fuses for instrument cluster and they all look in good condition. I have also unplugged the MAF and it actually stalled the car, but still no CEL. So how do I go about making sure that my CEL hasn't been tempered with? I have also read somewhere that CEL does not come on in pre-1999 E46? And some said the CEL does not come on for the E46's outside of the states? It sounded dodgy as CEL has been around for ages and why would BMW disable them.

Please advise.

You say the other w/lights don't light up either - you mean none go with the key on?

Hi Grant, the other warning lights are working fine, except for the ones on the bottom left corner - CEL, EML, fog lights, washer fluid, radiator etc. None of these light up when starting the car, but lights up when I test the instrument cluster.