3pedals

ABS module repairs in Auckland

Ripped the ABS electronics module out of the Saab yesterday because it is faulty, only module repairer I can find is in Nelson.

Does anyone know of a local guy who does these

Bosch 5.3 system, common in a lot of cars

yes I know a guy

• Like 1

Thanks Hans, that's almost local, hopefully he does Saab stuff and doesn't just farm it out to the guy in Nelson

Ecu.co.nz

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

He has done mine a year ago. Very tidy job

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Quite a variation in price from the various vendors $185 to $320 + GST with most just replacing the circuit board

Theres a guy on the shore called Mitsi Spec. Will give you his contact details via PM

• Like 1

Have you searched for new overseas?

I was quoted a number of Hundred to "repair" the E39 one, but new was about NZ$480 direct from Germany. Same thing here was $1000 from the repair place, if they couldn't fix it! AND I still had to pay for part of the failed "repair"!

Where have you got to with this? My X5 has the yellow brake trifecta (abs/brake/dsc) so I've got it in at Driscoll Motors to get sorted. The ABS unit has had a previous repair by the looks of things. Checking with Vero/Autosure on preference for repair (Nelson) or replace.....

Got my X5 back after having the ABS module sorted in Nelson and worked fine for several days... and just had the trifecta come back whilst trolling along at low speed. I've already coughed for the Autosure excess so shouldn't cost any more to get sorted - but still annoying :) Back we go...

Went with Anything Electronic in Nelson, re-installed on the weekend and clocked up 400k since- so far perfect.

• Like 1

Glad yours is sorted - wonder if I have a wheel sensor that needs sorting or similar....

The key to mine was the fault code P1625 which is a comms failure between modules , it also threw up wheel sensor , speedo and ABS faults initially , but: the root was the comms from the ABS module as all the sensor data goes there first , then out to the other units.

Check the specific type of the ABS electronic Bosch 5-7 series have common faults - if you search under the Bosch type you can get some decent info not forum speculation.

Cheers for the advice Ron - will drop by Driscoll Motors again and get the codes pulled so they can figure out next steps (under my MBI claim :D).

Get the ABS module type number as well

Well after more than 2 months with no brake warning light trifectas it has come up twice in 2 days after the X5 was in for the window regulator replacement ... back in for another go!

Saab is still going strong and it gets used daily so has ad plenty of opportunity to be challenged.

I firmly recommend the Nelson guys, saw their facility talked with the techs - they know their stuff and have the right equipment.

Was there a confirmed fault in your ABS module by the tech or did they just test ?

Yes it was repaired by the Nelson guys.

Did they give repair description ?

The fault in mine was the earth connection in the module which the correct/ best repair for is a replacement earth link ultrasonic welded in place

Had the ABS trifecta on my e46. Ended up getting a full abs module + pump block from ebay (came from latvia) for 140 NZD landed (yes, including shipping).

Read a how-to on resetting the VIN via flashing the module and presto! All fixed.

Got the X5 back and it was apparently a brake pressure sensor that needed to be sorted. Guess we'll see. Not covered by the original Vero MBI claim as this is was a separate repair (from the ABS control unit) from their perspective.

Sorry to revive an old thread …. after best part of 2 years...

Just got the trifecta again this morning on my E53 … will be booking it to get codes done etc … Sigh. Will update on findings ….

• Sad 1

The ABS will need scanning AND monitoring live data. As mentioned in this thread - they are notorious for failure in this vintage unit.

As I have experienced many times on these cars (inc my E39), the module can throw bogus codes, or none at all as in my car, while the unit is infact faulty.

Hence live data diagnosis is important.

These modules can be repaired (usually) but in varying states of success - as you have found.

I too got a new replacement unit out of Europe for around $500 a few years back as mine was not repairable.