Sign in to follow this  
Shaunyboy36

E36 coupe windows

Hey all,

The drivers window in my 93 328i coupe isnt going back up without physical assistance and when the door shut the window wont close properly.

Has anyone else had this issue and know what the fix is and where to get parts from.

Hey all,

The drivers window in my 93 328i coupe isnt going back up without physical assistance and when the door shut the window wont close properly.

Has anyone else had this issue and know what the fix is and where to get parts from.

door switch button worn down on the B pillar.

replace it with a b piller switch from left side of a sedan (less wear)

Is the window winder motor running on a bit but the window doesn't go up + it's clicking a bit when this happens too?

I've had both passenger and driver windows fail due to stripped gears on the plastic sprocket part of the worm-drive. Also, once the plastic pins on the worm-drive sprocket sheared off. Since some of the motors are difficult to find the easiest way I found to fix it is to replace the sprocket from another similar but not identical motor unit. It appears the sprockets are the same even though the mounting and motors can be different. It's quite easy to swap - the most difficult part is getting the circlip off without it flying off and hiding somewhere in the shed...

You also want to make sure all the plastic sliders in the X brace thingy are completely free with no slop in any part of the window system. The plastic pins fatigue and eventually shear off the sprocket if the window gets too much play in it due to the drag force increasing a lot...