Sign in to follow this  
dkonsta1

Can this be true for E46 E39 E38?

On older ibus versions its more of a electrical conversion that a software plus hardware plus coding affair. Its largely plug and play.

What I'd recommend is that you check out http://www.info.org.nz/?download=e39_jap_2_euro_nav_conversion_mar09.pdf and also take your time to understand the WDS wiring information and cross check the wiring colours. http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/

In my e46 both the japan nav and telephony module have been swapped out for mk4 and Bluetooth Ulf. I needed up buying the factory.loom for TV to mk4 module and found that a few wiring colour codes where different in the telephone module.

The nice thing about the mk4 module is it only needs a subset of the jap nav wiring to work. The gps Trimble stage is built in you can get away with not needing wheel pulse feeds as it estimates average speed reasonably well.

In the telephone module I use the shark fin aerial instead of installing a factory BT aerial and the coverage works in my lounge with the car parked in the garage.

If the car was a late model Merc which runs basic encryption between modules then your posting link is quite valid. Its easier to turn one of these into a teapot than people think . A few stories of performance remaps which render the car useless with the only fix is to re-issue a new factory id and only at the dealers discretion. $9k later .....

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

Very handy and informative Neal, thanks :)