Sign in to follow this  
Auzeras

Recommend a Towing Company

I need to move a car, who's a reputable towing provider in the South Auckland Area (between Epsom & Manakau)?

Only tricky part is the car will have no power & I have no keys for it yet so the towie will need to be fairly competent I imagine. If the locks are anything like the E32's they're in for a fun time.

I'm not stealing it ;) Explanation see http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/55432-free-2005-750d/page-2

Cheers for any heads up!

I need to move a car, who's a reputable towing provider in the South Auckland Area (between Epsom & Manakau)?

Only tricky part is the car will have no power & I have no keys for it yet so the towie will need to be fairly competent I imagine. If the locks are anything like the E32's they're in for a fun time.

I'm not stealing it ;) Explanation see http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/55432-free-2005-750d/page-2

Cheers for any heads up!

They all suck but make sure you ask for a flatbed and not a tow and you'll reduce your risk 1 million percent.

Edit: and make sure they use dolly's and do *not* haul it up by the front or rear arms, only the tow hooks, however much of a PITA that is.

Edited by M3AN

what.. thought you're in welly? and the car was in welly?

what.. thought you're in welly? and the car was in welly?

Nah I moved to Auckland to take a job with an airline, car's up here too. My E32's still in Wellington though

Cheers for the heads up M3AN - would have been expecting a flatbed anyway but a good reminder to make sure that's what they show up with!

bring a toe eye just in case as well.. isnt it a universal fit for bmws?

GL with the whole thing :) would love to see it :) got a portable obd2 scanner if needed :)

Got a quote from one company, $160 for the dolly & $110 for a flatbed - only requirement for the flatbed was it had to be unlocked & in neutral - I may be wrong but how are they planning to move it on the dolly without it also being unlocked an in neutral? By the sounds of it they aren't going to be able to "break" in to unlock it? Find a different tow company?

Only bonus is the car's in nose first so being RWD you could get away with it, only complication being the steering isn't straight.

is the hand brake electrically operated on these? Can probably connect up a jump pack if you can get in the boot or bonnet, but expect the alarm to go off and you still wont be able to unlock the steering. Not sure about putting the car in neutral without a key.

might help, but need mechanical key.

and this

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

Just go to maccas and steal some of their plastic trays, Jack the back of the car up and chuck them under the wheels. Will slide easy as then.

Edited by polley
  • Like 6

I'll just nip a couple of aluminium atlas trays off the plane! I reckon she'll be a bit more drifty on those!

Thanks for those videos though KwS - very helpful, a bit of a pain you need a key to do everything, BMW won't order a key until the sale's done & finalised with the parking people so I've got to wait a week or so for it to go through and then another week or so for the key it to arrive from the peaceful Germans. Looks like there's no point even trying to tow it without a key as even if you get in with a wedge there's still the trans and brake to manually release.

Guess I'll order a key & update when avail.

if they have dollies it doesnt matter,jack the car up and put the dollies under the rear wheels.Ask BMW who they use.Maybe wise to get the front bumper cover off?

Can you put a trolley jack under the diff?