Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E30 suspension

This is kind-of related to recent discussions around 5-stud set ups, and the front sway bar topic where mounting of the front swaybar was discussed.

The simplest (and allegedly purest) way to update a 'normal' E30 to 5-stud is to fit M3 suspension. That's potentially one of the more expensive ways to do it too, requiring acquisition of some fairly rare parts. (Let's put E36 M3 / Z3 etc setups to one side for the moment.)

A "benefit" of a 5-stud conversion is the availability of other rims. If that is the only reason, regardless of the route taken it is probably more economic to buy any rim of suitable offset, and have them welded and re-drilled if the pcd isn't 4x100.

Another benefit, judging from the swaybar discussion, is the ability to mount the swaybar on the strut bringing the benefits Ron describes here.

Would it be possible to fit aftermarket M3 struts (or coilovers) with original 4-stud hubs, or would this lead to issues with rim clearance? Or is the hub mounting different on the M3 to the other E30s?

Apologies if this is an eye-rolling question - I wanted to get this down while I remembered. I don't immediately have time to trawl RealOEM!

The biggest reasons are wheels and Brakes. You can weld tabs on e30 struts and mount the sway bar like an M3. garagistic sells them.

The hubs fit over a spindle on the struts, they are not the same between regular e30 and M3's or else it would be as simple as a hub/bearing swap. Struts are essentialy the same, with the upper tab for Sway bar.

http://store.garagistic.com/e30-performance-parts/e30-2002-weld-on-tabs

http://store.garagistic.com/E30-Adjustable-Front-Sway-Bar-Links

• Like 1

Thanks John. I thought there had to be something like that or everyone would be doing the relatively easy swap.

I was thinking the mounts were a long way up the strut! Nice pic of an 'after' on G's website:

e30-adjustable-endlinks.JPG