Sign in to follow this  
jaimzthedrummer

Hole in roof (it was deliberate!)

Hey all,

Is this really the first post in this sub forum? Cool!

I have an e36 318is that I'm turning into a 2kcup racer. I've removed the sunroof unit (which was an aftermarket jobby installed in Auckland, not factory) and now have a sunroof sized and shaped hole in the roof!

Because it was aftermarket, there's no bracing of any kind left so the sheet metal is unsupported and very flappy (driving at 80kph+ is a noisy experience!)

I'm wondering:

- What would the best way of covering it up (i.e. a large patch over the top vs an insert inside the hole sealed around the perimeter vs something else?)

- Does anyone know a good fabricator I could take it to?

Because what's left of the roof is a bit flappy, I wonder if it would need to be stretched or tensioned as part of the process...

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome. :-)

James

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What about a full roof skin from a slick-top wreck?

• Like 1

What about a full roof skin from a slick-top wreck?

Hey Dave,

Yeah I thought about that... but that'd mean taking all the windows etc out and some tricky seam welding. Probably the most expensive option.

Hey Dave,

Yeah I thought about that... but that'd mean taking all the windows etc out and some tricky seam welding. Probably the most expensive option.

it's a 2k cup car, just bolt it to the cage mate... ;)

• Like 2

If it's a 2k cup car... What cage??

• Like 1

Haha...

I'd be siliconing and riveting a piece of perspex or similar over it, considering it's a 2k cup car.

• Like 1

What Westy said. 8 years and no dramas with this off cut of plastic.

post-1246-0-09738900-1460418055.jpeg

• Like 2

Cool, yeah something like that would be ideal... just have to check whether it clashes with the class rules.

All mods are supposed to be OEM, but considering the sunroof we removed wasn't... ;-)

I think we'll run with a perspex patch for now (at least so we're not driving a wind sock at track days) and upgrade if required later on.

Thanks for the advice. We're one of only 3 BMWs in the 2kcup. Just sayin'... ;-)

You could even cover it in some japanesie graphic thing and be all hipster like and sh*t.

Ps try not to get lapped by Hondas.

Not sure how important the centre roof brace is to the cars structure but you could pull one from a parts car and weld it in

The ideal way to do it would be get a sheet of alloy trace the hole and get someone skilled with a swage to step down the edge so you can epoxy or rivet it inside the roof but still have the panel flush on the outside.