Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Engine hesitation

2 things wrong with the car at the moment....one is as im accelerating (any gear...and not usually after ive been driving a while...normally after the car has been still for a bit) it just sorta stops going before going back to normal...almost like i let off the throttle and back on very very quickly...its not that often to be extremely irriatating....but i dont like it...any suggestions? also my idle is off after driving...its fine at first start up but when i pull up at traffic lights my idle fluctuates....normally around 1000rpm to nearly dead...sounds like im being a scum...im thinking it could be fuel filter? that may explain the first problem....and last....damn i forgot but any help will be great!

Guest Andrew

I wouldn't go the fuel filter route (although do it anyway).. check the ICV (Idle control valve). As for your random throttle problem, Does motronic have TPS sensor? I'm not sure, I'm pretty sure it calculates load with the TPS sensor.

Guest Andrew

Grab the Bentleys off me when your getting the A/C fan mounts. I'm at work right now.

Mine did exactly the same thing last year, especially when the car was cold...or had been resting for a while.

It turned out to be leaking injectors. I replaced them all, and it has never happenned again.

The hesitation was especially evident when accelerating between 2000 and 3000 rpm's. When the car was cold it was worse, the harder I accelerated.

My car was off the road for a week before they found the problem - they replaced the AFM, made sure there were no vacuum leaks, tested the ECU. But as soon as the car warmed up, the problem went away, so they had to leave it and try again later in the day.

Not sure if this is the problem in your case, but it is one idea to look at.

Good luck!!!

Cheers

hmmmm....ill give the ICV a go when i have my car apart next...tomorrow? can i check for vacuum leaks or do i need a real mechanic to do it? leaking injectors sound nasty? how much did that end up costing grant? if its fine when its warm....i can survive! haah scum...and the other problem is that often i cant start the car....the electronics all work and stuff...and the battery connections are good....im thinking maybe the alternator just isnt working???? any other ideas apart from that? when i say doesnt start i mean it doesnt start...but take my keys in/out or leave it a minute and try again and it starts....its odd

Gus

It cost me around $500.00 to get the injectors replaced (I just put second hand ones in). This included labour, and coming to get my car when it got so bad it wouldn't start.

But I hate to tell you this, but mine started not starting too from time to time, and then start a minute later...then this got worse....and worse.....and then refused to go at all.

Get it checked, as I was prepared to live with it, until it went completely.

Cheers

got it checked by ernst at bavarian.....didnt get service...the problem has only happened relatively recently....cars done 161000...not too bad....gonna leave the prob until my car def dies and doesnt go anywhere......got too much other sh*t to pay for first :wacko:

Guest MSBOND

What year is it? An somebody ruffly tell me how many km between each oil service light comes on. This is the 2nd time its come on since ive had it, and my km reader dont work.

The service lights don't seem to come on at any set intervals, but it seems to be at around 10,000km's. (well it doesn't in mine anyway...and my service lights still work ok).

Cheers

well after 3000 k i had 2 service lights gone....which reminds me i must reset the lights....my car is an 88

the E36 service lights come on on the dash when you first start it up - the lights die out at roughly 2000km intervals until all 5 have gone out, then it comes up with service due - ive had that light come on once... never again, i hate driving around with warning lights up on the dash - gets frustraiting!!!

Also, my 325 seemed to lag a bit from time to time starting not long after i bought it, i would have my foot flat on the gas, and it would feel like it was towing a heavy load or somthing...

then it started running like a subaru - no power and that awful wap wap wap noise that subarus make.... Took it in, and it had a dead spark plug. Got all 6 replaced, then about 2 weeks later it was doing that subaru thing again! so it went back in, and 4 out of 6 of my coil packs were arcing out...

Thank god for a mechanical warranty where i dont have to pay a cent for problems a - that cost the warranty people $1500...

But back to my point! The problem with it feeling like it has no power (well less than it already doenst have) seemed to go away after the coilpacks were done. It still does it very very rarely, but maybe that has somthing to do with the fact that we have such crappy gas here in Hawkes Bay. (it ran like a dream on 98 Octane while I was up in Auckland... we need that stuff here!)

Guest MSBOND

then it started running like a subaru - no power and that awful wap wap wap noise that subarus make....

HAHA Id love to see you up against one, theyd kick your ass in a second... no power thats funny! As for the wap wap wap, far from it!

Guest Andrew

HAHA Id love to see you up against one, theyd kick your ass in a second... no power thats funny! As for the wap wap wap, far from it!

hardly... most subaru's aren't anything to write home about.. a car geared to like 170 kph doesn't exactly excite me.

Guest MSBOND

hardly... most subaru's aren't anything to write home about.. a car geared to like 170 kph doesn't exactly excite me.

how can you say that wen it would kick all our cars arses in a second! :lol:

Guest MSBOND

Year: 1996

Make: Subaru

Model: Impreza WRX STi-III

Drive Wheels Front Engine / 4WD

Configuration: Turbocharged Flat-4

Curb Weight: 1220 kg / 2690 lbs

Displacement: 1994 cc / 121.7 cu in

Power 208.8 kw / 280.0 bhp @ 6500 rpm

Torque: 325.0 nm / 239.7 ft lbs @ 4000 rpm

Gear Type: 5-Speed Manual

Top Speed 238.4 kph / 148.1 mph

0 - 60 mph 4.7 seconds

HMMMM, Compare that to your 325i

Guest MSBOND

Year: 1990

Origin: Munich, Germany

Make: BMW

Model: E30 M3 Evolll

Drive Wheels Front Engine / RWD

Configuration: Inline-4

Curb Weight: 1200 kg / 2646 lbs

Valvetrain: DOHC 4 Valves / Cyl

Displacement: 2467 cc / 150.5 cu in

Power: 175.0 kw / 234.7 bhp @ 7000 rpm

Torque: 240.0 nm / 177.0 ft lbs @ 4750 rpm

Gear Type: 5-Speed Manual

Top Speed: 248.0 kph / 154.1 mph

0 - 60 mph 6.1 seconds

The best e30 and it still dont cut the mustard

I know which one I wold choose!!!

An E30 M3 is a far far superior car with timeless value.

Also, Shelly you comparison seems to be a bit flawed. You are comparing a 1990 E30 BMW with a 1996 Subaru WRX STi.

Why don't you compare a 1996 top spec E36 M3 with a 1996 WRX STi???

Then see which car comes out with the best specs?

Cheers

Guest Andrew

wow amazing specs. Thats the best WRX there is.. the others are all like 80 kW and sh*t.

I think the fastest e30 on here would own any ANY WRX.. (cept highly modded ones).

Guest MSBOND

i cant find any stats for an m3 e36 or bigger, but i can say that a subaru wrx or legacy would eat everyones car on this site!

Look i know your all euro lovers i am too i used to hate wrx's until i started going out with my b/f who got the wrx wen i sat in that thing for the first time and we kaned it out to piha i was shocked at the great performance, i was expecting a crappy ride and it was far from it, it would have to be up there with the 3 fastest cars ive driven. B)

Guest MSBOND

by the way that isnt the best subaru wrx, i just took that as the oposition as my b/f has one, and i choose the best e30 to compete it with as this site has more e30 drivers then anything else. If someone can find stats for a later model m3 please post it.

And trust me id buy the e30 m3 evo3 too! Just the wrx is quicker.