Sign in to follow this  
atlantiskiwi

Z3 steering rack or e46 purple tag? (E36 M3)

post-17746-14607193556347.jpg

I have both racks sitting in my shed but cannot make my mind up as to which one I should install.

I am frustrated by the lack of feedback with my current rack and want a lore linear feel. I am not driving fast but absolutely love going sideways and the really twisty stuff.

From your experience or general knowledge which one has the better feel.

Fyi - not a daily driver.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Off topic....such a beauty of an M3 sir

• Like 1

Off topic....such a beauty of an M3 sir

Cheers. 3 years of ownership this month and I still get excited about driving it. It's just a matter of maintaining it as the last two owners have while remembering that its made to be driven.

May the journey continue with the M3 beast! At least it's in the right hands....given the power and handling of these cars...i'd be tempted to daily an M3, but i guess a weekend car becomes more desireable after a long working week

May the journey continue with the M3 beast! At least it's in the right hands....given the power and handling of these cars...i'd be tempted to daily an M3, but i guess a weekend car becomes more desireable after a long working week

If I was in Hawkes Bay or similar province then yes. But it's a complete waste in Auckland. I really enjoy cruising in the 530i. Even travelling with the wife I prefer that.

Can't tell you about the Z3 rack although I have one now sitting in the garage. What I can tell you is that the purple rack is an astonishing upgrade, I've had mine in for about 8 months now and will never look back, it makes a huge difference to how the front of the car feels and precision micro-drifts.

But I do understand the original 3.0 and 3.2 racks are different? Therefore you may have a different experience.

When the purple one first went in it felt very heavy and tight, I couldn't have imagined putting an even tighter one in. However now that I'm used to it it just seems normal and I'm willing to experiment with the Z3 rack when I get around to it. It's actually not as much of a leap (in ratio) from E46 > Z3 as it was to go from E36 > E46 so perhaps the change in feel won't be so dramatic either.

I did have to modify the inner tie rods to allow the E46 rack to vent but many don't. I don't think this is required for the Z3 rack.

I'm positive you'll be happy with the E46 one and pretty sure you'll be at least as happy with the Z3 one. I do hear that the Z3 one is quite a bit more maintenance on the open roads so that's what I'm most cautious of.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Maybe we should install the z3 rack in mine and then compare them side by side?

I love my e46 Clubsport (purple tag) rack - absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1

Maybe we should install the z3 rack in mine and then compare them side by side?

It would be good to test them back-to-back and I'd be keen if yours went in before mine. Also happy to tool around helping you do the swap if that's what you meant. It would be worth making sure your tierods aren't seized before you start as you may need gas to get them undone. You'll also want to get new hoses and do the modifications required to use normal worm-drive clamps (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?124679-Fixed-steering-hose-leak-problem).

Edited by M3AN

It would be good to test them back-to-back and I'd be keen if yours went in before mine. Also happy to tool around helping you do the swap if that's what you meant. It would be worth making sure your tierods aren't seized before you start as you may need gas to get them undone. You'll also want to get new hoses and do the modifications required to use normal worm-drive clamps (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?124679-Fixed-steering-hose-leak-problem).

I like your suggestion haha. Yeah OK I'll take a look at the link.

I love my e46 Clubsport (purple tag) rack - absolutely brilliant.

Have you driven one with the z3?