Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

Brake fluid safe hose?

I'm currently going through setting up my brake system and as the master cylinder is now behind the glovebox I am now looking at remote mounting the resevoir into the engine bay.

My problem being finding hose suitable for the job as rubber seems to weep and silicone will dissolve.

I have read pcv tubing will work but looking for something possibly a little nicer looking.

Anyone have any ideas?

Stainless Steel braided Teflon? That's what the SS brake hose kits are made from . . . although a hose from reservoir to master cylinder wont see anywhere near the pressure that the downstream hoses will so could be considered overkill - but just wondering how the certifiers will view this and whether it needs a DOT rating,

Teflon hose would probably do the trick.

Given that the cylinder and reservoir don't have relative movement - maybe a solid stainless pipe?

Edited by BlackAngel

I just went to hose supplies at mt maunganui and they had some rubber hose that was sweet with brake fluid. Been good for like 10 years and hasn't weeped or fallen apart.

Doesn't have to be too special, not under pressure or anything. Most hose shops should have something.