Sign in to follow this  
BlackAngel

E46 330i manual with toasted motor $2k

Isn't this the one amber had for a few weeks?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Isn't this the one amber had for a few weeks?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

more than a few weeks, but no that was a 328i manual, i actually enjoyed driving it too, more than i can say for any other E46 i have driven. hers just had flywheel issues, not sure where it got to before it was sold and if the problem was remedied. anyway, not relevant to this thread.

• Like 1

Thats a good deal.

Wish I was in chch

• Like 1

4 door, white, meh.

Would be all over it if it was black and a coupe.

• Like 1

4 door e46, meh.

Would be all over it if it was a coupe.

FIx'd - almost worth it just to plonk a m54b30 in and sell.

FIx'd - almost worth it just to plonk a m54b30 in and sell.

^^^^what I was thinking . . . probably a new cooling system too.

What does everyone reckon it would be worth all fixed up?

Average spec e46 sedan non motorsport with worn grey leather interior.

After new secondhand engine and new cooling system (budget 3-4k?) Plus cost of car 2k it will probably owe you close to 6k. I dont think its worth any more than 7-8k despite being a manual because it doesnt tick any other boxes.

Its too decent and expensive to buy for the manual box, and also a bit too expensive to fix up and flick off for profit.

Id say its one you would buy for a project and keep or track car etc but not reall a worth while investment unless you can get parts cheap and do everything low cost.

• Like 3

Well, I went and bought it.

I intend to replace/repair the engine and use it for myself. It's a nice tidy car. It's been in the guys garage for 2 or 3 years. The upholstery doesn't look worn to me, in fact the car is very straight and well looked after. It appears to have boiled so i will make damn sure that the radiator/water pump are sound. Engine may be rescuable at a very very long shot but will provide good parts if not.

I'm actually seriously thinking of selling my 318i E30 manual coupe and the missuses corolla and just having this e46 as her drive around with the young lad car and my "go to a track day" car. Not as cool as the E30 but plenty quicker! I have another project in the garage which needs my attention too.

Anyone know of an M54b30 engine for sale? I see bmworld has one for 1700 or so

• Like 2

Well done Shane. Should be a good sleeper and fun with the manual.

Best of luck with the repairs and sale of the E30.

Edited by BlackAngel

well done. definitely a good deal if you intend to keep it! keep us updated on progress

well, I finally got this thing going after a fair bit of arsing around and avoidance.  It goes really well straight out of the box.  flew through a warrant and then i took it to the West Coast the next day.  500km round trip without an issue.  Everything about it is functional and pleasingly tight.  Very nice engine the m54b30 - surprisingly it's a bit gruntier than my E30 M40B18.  Even the suspension feels tight as.  I'd quite like some style 68 wheels.  What is this staggered thing people talk about? and does anyone know how to connect to the bluetooth on it.  i have a small TV screen and tape inside and a nav cd unit and 6 cd stacker in boot.  have tried googling but nothing works.   The missus will use this car quite a lot when I'm not taking it to a track day or stealing it off her and making her drive my work RAV4.  Her main comment is that she doesn't like white -  no amount of "But VANOS, twin cam, alloy block, manual 5 speed, renowned driver's car babe" convinces her otherwise.  I'll punish her with a cool coloured 1300cc auto nissan Micra one day but she'll have to slum it for now.  I have 4 cars - all white -  it didn't happen on purpose but I genuinely like white.  The E46 looks crisp in this colour.

I'm taking it to a local Ruapuna track day as soon as I can - within the next couple of months.  

is the blown gasket bottom end/head without sensors or ancillaries of any use to anyone? cams got surface rust from sitting in guys garage without cover on but everything looks good from the bottom

car.JPG

• Like 3

replaced water pump, tstat, a few gaskets, air and oil filter, all the fluids obviously, replaced vanos seals, replaced CCV setup, new battery.  Don't worry, i'll replace a couple of hoses and the reservoir soon.

anyhoo i'm down around $4500 so pretty stoked.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, agent75 said:

and does anyone know how to connect to the bluetooth on it.  i have a small TV screen and tape inside and a nav cd unit and 6 cd stacker in boot.  have tried googling but nothing works.

Does this not work?

Turn the ignition on to the #2 position so that the car is on, but the engine is not. Search for bluetooth devices on your phone, and it should find your car. Then input the BMW Bluetooth PIN code into the phone, and your car should pick it up. To make calls you can use the steering wheel buttons and to search your address book.

I am also assuming you know what your BMW Bluetooth PIN code is. If you don't know, check one of the owners manuals. If not in there, you will have to go into the trunk, on the left side wall above where the DVD navigation or cd changer is, the Bluethooth TCU is there as well. You will have to remove some of the trunk carpeting to get at it, but the PIN code is a sticker on the bluetooth TCU. 

Do you have the factory TCU?

I did try this but got nothing on my phone. I'll try again. Thank you

1 hour ago, agent75 said:

I did try this but got nothing on my phone. I'll try again. Thank you

does it even have blutooth fitted ?? not a common option

• Like 1

There is a bit missing in the instructions - you have to press the hands-free button (on the centre-console) which has the head with sound waves coming out as a picture on it. Then the car will start to transmitt the bluetooth signal which your phone should pick-up. Then you will need to enter the PIN number, etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

does it even have blutooth fitted ?? not a common option

It's a 2001 south African import in 2002. It has the buttons on the steering wheel for it. 

17 minutes ago, agent75 said:

It's a 2001 south African import in 2002. It has the buttons on the steering wheel for it. 

The buttons don't mean anything. It needs to have a TCU in the boot next to the DVD/Nav reader. 

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

The buttons don't mean anything. It needs to have a TCU in the boot next to the DVD/Nav reader. 

Oooooooh. ...... It doesn't have one. Just googled a picture of the tcu. I shouldn't be on the phone anyway, i should be listening to that sweet engine note:-D

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 9:10 PM, Gabe79 said:

Does this not work?

Do you have the factory TCU?

You are right, no TCU!