Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Max

Completely lost with software

OK so I've searched and searched everywhere, and come to the conclusion that what I want to do, may not be possible at all, maybe someone can confirm that for me or point me in the right direction?

I purchased a cable that came with INPA/EDIABAS and after weeks researching, have got INPA working fine. Laptop is a newer HP running Win10 X64 edition, the car is an 03/1996 E36 328i - note that, as I am in New Zealand, this will be the euro spec version, not the USDM version, so there's a few minor differences with the cars.

Anyway, I can get into the ECU through INPA, can read and reset fault codes for the engine and transmission, that part is fine. What I would like to know or find (if there is a tutorial around somewhere) is how to download the bin files from the ECU, as there are a few small tweaks I'd like to make.

Every search I have tried keeps coming back to KWP2000 Plus (apparently only works on Win XP, says "Kick not found"), Galletto 1260 (comes up with "opening port not possible"), K-Suite (says "connection not established") or WinKFP (doesn't seem to respond at all).

So is there a way, with Windows 10, to download the full and partial bin files? Am I missing something/making a basic error with the above programs? I'm positive this has been done to death but for the life of me I cannot find the answer, and will happily take any form of abuse from anyone (for not searching the right keywords!!) that can point me to the answer

You need to use 32bit Windows as a start. INPA will run on 64bit but the lower level communications protocols will not.

Using Win32 (Windows 10 is fine) get INPA and DIS up and running then you can use the other tools.

You need to use 32bit Windows as a start. INPA will run on 64bit but the lower level communications protocols will not.

Using Win32 (Windows 10 is fine) get INPA and DIS up and running then you can use the other tools.

Thanks for the reply, INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert and all the standard BMW tools work fine (for what I need it for) on 64 bit, so that part isn't a problem, it's trying to find software that will download and reflash the ECU data. That's the part I'm getting stuck with.

Can't you use TunerPro (http://www.tunerpro.net/)?

And I can assure you there are no (known) 64bit ADS drivers and your car is ADS. Unless you have DIS up and running you're not going to get far programming your modules because the bidirectional communications protocols aren't in place.

Edited by M3AN

Unfortunately not. TunerPro is editing software only (and there's better software out there for the E36's), so I'm looking for something that can read and reflash. Might have to purchase the Seimens MS41 Flash Tool, but if I'm buying software I'd rather not have it limited to certain ECU's, if that makes sense - if I'm buying it, I may as well get something that I can use on multiple cars.

INPA/DIS are both set up and working fine, it's a known issue with the E36's that there are certain modules you can't get into (such as the dashboard), which doesn't bother me. I have confirmed my ECU is flashable, I just need the software to do so.

I've got ms41 flash tool and it works sweet in win10 64bit

I've got ms41 flash tool and it works sweet in win10 64bit

Thanks polley, that's the way I'm leaning too, might have to bite the bullet and buy it. Already have everything else I need to do these tunes, this is the final piece of the puzzle lol.

• Like 1

Will do, will be a few weeks away from buying any more software, unfortunately having a few sensor issues with the car so she's not running right..... though on a positive, spinning the wheels on the change into second gear (it's auto :puke: ) is something new lol. So will be interesting to see how she goes with a tune.

Have a read through this guide. Might be enough to get the software and drivers working. I've used similar techniques to get old car stereo dsp serial flash apps working over proprietary unsigned Bluetooth drivers.

http://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

Have a read through this guide. Might be enough to get the software and drivers working. I've used similar techniques to get old car stereo dsp serial flash apps working over proprietary unsigned Bluetooth drivers.

http://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

If non of this works check out virtual machines section further down the article

Thanks Neal, I have looked into virtual machines and figured that, if I have to go to the hassle of setting them up, I may as well rebuild my old laptop with WinXP and use that purely for the tuning/diagnostic software, saves having to mess with too much on my main laptop. So that may be the easiest way after all, just reinstall WinXP on an older machine for just this purpose.

I've got an winxp box set up just for this, native serial and TinyADS interface. Will be trying to code mine so it knows its a manual transmission today, is there any check you want me to run?

All of the BMW software runs fine on Windows 10, no need to go back to anything else.

And I'll say it again, if you want to use BMW software over an ADS interface you must use 32bit Windows.

Keen to see how this goes as I have just received my automatic b28 and I'm pulling every thing off that is not needed. I'll be needing it all flashed out .

I've got an winxp box set up just for this, native serial and TinyADS interface. Will be trying to code mine so it knows its a manual transmission today, is there any check you want me to run?

Thanks John, I'm just needing to find software to read and reflash the ECU, that's all. I have a guide here on how to do just this using NCSExpert if you need a copy.

All of the BMW software runs fine on Windows 10, no need to go back to anything else.

And I'll say it again, if you want to use BMW software over an ADS interface you must use 32bit Windows.

That's what I was sorta finding out lol..... INPA works fine for a diagnostic tool on Win10 so I'm happy to leave that as it is for strictly diagnostic purposes. I spent some time yesterday setting up a virtual machine with 32 bit XP installed, so be interesting to see if that does the job to get WinKFP or some other read/flash tool working.

Keen to see how this goes as I have just received my automatic b28 and I'm pulling every thing off that is not needed. I'll be needing it all flashed out .

There are a few guides out there on how to do this, I have a copy of one here on how to do it through NCSExpert for an E36 if you want a copy of that.

Thanks John, I'm just needing to find software to read and reflash the ECU, that's all. I have a guide here on how to do just this using NCSExpert if you need a copy.

Yeh couldn't hurt to have a read through anyway...

And sh*t just got real...... Siemens MS41 Flash Tool FTW, in the process of completing a full read as we speak.....

Yeh couldn't hurt to have a read through anyway...

Do you want to pm me an email address? I've got it in PDF format and can flick it through to you, no idea how to upload a PDF on here lol

It will be interesting to see how much you will be able to read. From what I have read the ecu has 256 external memory and Many of the readers are only able to access 16 of the 256.

I will try and find the thread I read a couple of weeks ago about it.

It will be interesting to see how much you will be able to read. From what I have read the ecu has 256 external memory and Many of the readers are only able to access 16 of the 256.

I will try and find the thread I read a couple of weeks ago about it.

Seems like I got the whole lot, can modify all the fuel and spark map, vanos settings, speed and rev limiters etc.

This looks like it's going to be fun hehehe

post-53186-0-36939400-1461574388_thumb.j