Sign in to follow this  
russellc2

Rim and tyre for E36 Track car

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, currently running 17x7.5 style 24 rims and RE003 225x45 tyres (square setup) and looking for more track / sealed sprint oriented setup (and more grip!)

I'm keen to stick with square setup and 17's - what do others use on track? do the e90 motorsport rims in 17 fit on ok?

I was hoping to go 17x8 or 17x8.5 and 235x45 or 245x40 but not sure how the latter would fit on the front.

Cheers,

Russell

Edited by russellc2

Why not run 235's on your 7.5's? BMW did that up front on a few E36 M3's (M3 GT and LTW IIRC).

Thanks for the prompt replies guys!

Sounds like the 235/40 option on my current rims would be easiset solution then. Maybe good to try before finding more rims.

Although I'm looking at semi slicks like Toyo 888's or similar rather than performance road tyres. I've even heard that Westlake do a semi slick that isn't too bad for the price... So if I do that I still need something else road legal to drive to and from events with.

Can anyone confirm if a 245/40 17 on an 8.5 inch rim would fit on the front of an E36?

As you note Ron I don't want to loose too much of the feel of the car, but it is pretty loose at the mo (although I don't have a lot to compare with! and still on the average RE003's as you say)

Thanks again

Has anyone had experience with the Westlakes so far?

Looking at running them on my e36 with staggered style 66 wheels.

Scary cheap at $120 for 225/45/17 and $130 for 245/40/17.

From your original question I'm not sure which way you want to go. Are you looking for a set of dedicated track wheels / tyres, or a better set of rims & rubber for your daily?

WIth the price of a decent set of used rims and decent semi-slicks, I would say go that route rather than compromising on the daily.

• Like 1

I had 17x7.5 front 17x8.5 rear on my e36 and previous owner had 225 45 17s all round and i changed them to 235 45 front 255 40 rear and noticed an instant improvement in grip and just overall better feel.

Yeah my original question may not have been that clear. I'm after a track / sealed sprint / hill climb setup. I have another car that I daily.

I'm just looking at options for the track setup & whether I stay square setup and a little wider all round (235-245/40 17) or staggered.

When I'm talking about Westlake I am referring to the semi slick / track tyres. Not the road tyres which are probably in the same class as some of those tyres you mentioned Ron.

Thanks for the all the replies guys - keep it coming :)

The 888s wil give you 1-1.5 secs a lap, but you really need to run stiffer dampers first

Also check the re55s runout specials . $149 per corner in 17s and street legal like the 888s

• Like 1

one would hope there'll be some runout pricing on R888's soon, as the R888 Asymetric has been introduced elsewhere.

RE55 runouts - wow. If only I could justify buying some, at that price!

Also check the re55s runout specials . $149 per corner in 17s and street legal like the 888s

Where?

Pop re55s into trademe. You'll see the sizes and the dealers that still have them..

I almost put a set on the M3 late last year when I couldn't source Re11 s or the replacement re71r which where around $2.2 k a set. Re55s where something like $1300 for a set in 18s ! Just wasn't convinced that I could drive on these every day.

Edited by Neal

Only issue with the re55 specials on tm is they are all advertised as 1 side only... I have no experience with the tyres but will it be an issue if you have one side right way round and the other side is backwards.. Ie the inside marking of tyre is on outside of rim