Sign in to follow this  
Rohil

E36 Flywheel and Clutch Question

Hi there,

Just got ourselves a 1995 325i E36, which we are supposed to manual convert HOWEVER, i have a 4 cyl flywheel & clutch.

As we are on a VERY tight budget to do this car, would i be able to use the 4 cyl on the M50?

Or anyone willing to swap my gear plus some cash for a 6 cyl kit?

Thanks!

Someone more knowledgeable than me will probably correct me, realoem lists the 318's with a different part # to the 325's so I would suggest you can't use it...... physically comparing the two though might tell a different story.

Pretty sure they are compatible, same ring gear size etc. The g220 I swapped into my 328 came with a 4cly flywheel, but it was a bit knackered so I got the larger one.

Pretty sure they are compatible, same ring gear size etc. The g220 I swapped into my 328 came with a 4cly flywheel, but it was a bit knackered so I got the larger one.

So im assuming it worked fine while it was in there? Just wondering whether a OEM rated clutch from the 4 cyl would withstand the 6 cyl?

Someone more knowledgeable than me will probably correct me, realoem lists the 318's with a different part # to the 325's so I would suggest you can't use it...... physically comparing the two though might tell a different story.

Yeah i had a look and they were different but iv heard conflicting information on whether or not it is possible. Hoping so, because this would really be ideal for us

I got it as both gearbox and clutch came from a 318, don't think the smaller flywheel ever went into a 6cyl. You'd probably want an upspec'd pressure plate and clutch disc. what sort of money can you spend on sorting the clutch? You could just put it in there to get it rolling and baby it a little, then get a decent one when that flogs out.

You'd also want to get confirmation of it being suitable, I'm only pretty sure they are, based on what I heard when doing mine.

I got it as both gearbox and clutch came from a 318, don't think the smaller flywheel ever went into a 6cyl. You'd probably want an upspec'd pressure plate and clutch disc. what sort of money can you spend on sorting the clutch? You could just put it in there to get it rolling and baby it a little, then get a decent one when that flogs out.

You'd also want to get confirmation of it being suitable, I'm only pretty sure they are, based on what I heard when doing mine.

Its all for a budget build, but i supposed we could just use it as an auto until money permits. Its kind of a joint project between me and 2 mates, I have spoken to someone about this and they said they got a rebuilt clutch and PP to handle the higher power output. So might look into that, unless you had any suggestions about where to go for a better clutch and PP?

I figured if going down this route i might as well just get a 6 cyl flywheel anyways? Just need to find one now which may be a bit of a pain

Its all for a budget build, but i supposed we could just use it as an auto until money permits. Its kind of a joint project between me and 2 mates, I have spoken to someone about this and they said they got a rebuilt clutch and PP to handle the higher power output. So might look into that, unless you had any suggestions about where to go for a better clutch and PP?

I figured if going down this route i might as well just get a 6 cyl flywheel anyways? Just need to find one now which may be a bit of a pain

I ended up getting a 1200 buck lightweight flywheel and clutch for mine, I notice there's a dual mass clutch on tm atm as part of a 6speed kit...

I ended up getting a 1200 buck lightweight flywheel and clutch for mine, I notice there's a dual mass clutch on tm atm as part of a 6speed kit...

The ZF kit? That's Nick's one if so from W.Industries. I might as well ask him if he's got anything in stock that'll work for me

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The ZF kit? That's Nick's one if so from W.Industries. I might as well ask him if he's got anything in stock that'll work for me

Yeh, hes good to deal with; also worth ringing hellbm to see what's there too.
  • Like 1

Yeh, hes good to deal with; also worth ringing hellbm to see what's there too.

That'll be my mission by the end of the week then!

Anyone got a cheap M20 flywheel? Going down that route as i have the clutch and flywheel, and after a bit off digging around they can handle up to 220hp. Our 325i WAS putting out 189 from factory, it now 20 years old and with over 300k on it, so id imagine its down on power so i figure the clutch from an M20 will work just fine.

Now i just need a flywheel, bolts, starter and a E21 323i throwout bearing to make this work. Any leads on this?