Sign in to follow this  
BlackAngel

'08 335d 380hp

Bet this thing is a hoot to drive http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1075680368.htm

215km . . . hmmm . . . . what's the longevity like on these engines bearing in mind the higher stresses with the upgrads and the extra strain on the tranny?

Edited by BlackAngel

Knowing how much the 6-cyl diesel engines are "Over-engineered" by ze Germans I would think that the extra torque and power wouldn't be an issue for the drivetrain (unless you drive it like a hoon all the time) and shouldn't have too much of an effect on the lifetime of the components.

More interestingly, I see they have removed both the EGR and the DPF, so it now doesn't meet the emissions regulations, and as such is not techincally of a warrantable standard (unless it has been emissions tested by an approved agency, which i doubt). Very unlikely to be picked up by a Warrant Check though..

On my 520i I replaced the cat with a bit of pipe (cat core had collapsed and blocked things up) and it sailed through a VTNZ WOF.

But back to the 330d - making that much power (near e39 M5 levels) at diesel engine revs - torque must be phenomenal !!!! and in a smaller car too :D 800nm FFS

Just clicked the link again its saying SOLD - 1st to see will buy I guess - bet it put a huge grin on someone's face

Edited by BlackAngel

That thing must be making a lot of smelly smoke for traffic behind it to enjoy...

But damn it's gotta be fun with all that torque.

Doesn't smoke and was heavily logged. I was involved with the car and it's a well sorted car.

It's not the smoke you can see that's the only issue, NOx particulates are not visible even at very dangerous levels. EGR and DPF are both there to reduce NOx, not "smoke".

i have driven a 535d and it was awesome.And it was dead stock/I reckon my 120d was equivalent to at least a 3l petrol engine in the midrange,not a match at high revs though.I reckon simialarly a x35d is equivalent to a 5 l v8 for driveability.However it will be very economical at the pump

It's not the smoke you can see that's the only issue, NOx particulates are not visible even at very dangerous levels. EGR and DPF are both there to reduce NOx, not "smoke".

Chuck some urea at it

Chuck some urea at it

That's the theoretical chemistry, but there's a bit more to it than that.

Missed the bit where it said this had an Adblue system added (and even those have variable effects).

Anyways will jump off my hobby horse now.