Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

I'm on Grindr

Hi guys,

In preperation for dealing with some rust on my e28s (the m535i has a lot) I think I'm going to need buy a grinder, cutting disks and grinding disk (rather than use all of dads...). I'll be cutting out panel cuts from a donnor car to weld onto the m535i and be grinding rust off both cars. The m535i will require a lot of work, so I'll probably need a lot of discs.

Any reccomendations for a good, but still budgetish (as in to do a job and not cost the earth, but not cheap and nasty) oriented grinder and discs?

Thanks.

In the mean time I'll look into the option of just buying some discs and borrowing dad's grinder or a friends. In my view a grinder comes into the 'everyday' tools category, hence me looking at buying one.

Edited by eliongater

Just get a ozito from bunnings. You'll want the thin 1mm or less cut off discs.

Hitachi 125mm grinders can be had for about $100 bucks. If that's too dear, just get a cheap 125mm from wherever, get discs from an engineering shop for a couple of bucks. Bunnings/M10 charge heaps for these. Euromarc are good for online shopping for abrasives and polishing sh*t too.

Yeah just get the cheap grinders, I think I'm up to my fourth or fifth free replacement one. Just use them until they break and take them back for a new one.

I had the B&D orange thing, 100mm. Recently shat itself after 25years the piece of crap. So bought another one! $70 odd from memory.

Exactly the same as the old one. If it aint broke etc...

• Like 2

Haha, funny tittle. :P

Who changed the title on me... :lol:

Hey mods, you spelt Grindr wrong

Bunnings sell a 125mm 750watt bosch blue for about $115, we have 4 of them at work and they are a good little grinder, nice and light and small so easy to get into small spaces.

Who changed the title on me... :lol:

Hey mods, you spelt Grindr wrong

Fixed. How's a married bloke spossed to know these things.

• Like 3

Fixed. How's a married bloke spossed to know these things.

Depends who you're married to these days.

• Like 4

I have the cheapie orange B&D too. it's fair, though very rattly. I'd go for Bosch Blue, or Hitachi...

I'm trying to recall the name of the cutting disc that is strong and don't tend to explode and shrapnel on you. +1 on buying from an Engineering Shop. You'll want flap discs as well, for grinding down the welds or stripping paint. they totally rock.

You also need to get a twisted knot wire wheels. A cup and a flat. They eat paint, bog, rust .

• Like 1

Don't forget knuckles. they love eating those too.

Have not used a flap disc but a 3m strip disc works really well and seems to do a better job of stripping paint + rust than a wire wheel

• Like 1

Borrowed my Dad's 125mm Bosch one and got some Bosch discs from Mitre 10 mega for $5 each, they seemed to work pretty well, except I need to buy some more (I guess that happens when you are cutting a large amount of the car off)