Sign in to follow this  
Arborguy

E36 Suspension. Which route to take!?

And you obviously haven't found them to firm like so many people seem to think (mainly usa)? I have spent hours upon hours today reading about the koni sport, B8, Ebach pro, h&r oe sport and h&r sport configurations. Seems like if your looking for more of a firm canyon car then the B8 with Eibach pro is a good mix or H&r sport for slightly firmer again, whereas a firm DD combo would be koni on soft with eibach pro kit...would you agree? Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

No, not too firm. In fact I think this is how the car should have come from the factory. Even my mother wouldn't say the ride was uncomfortable.

There's a lot of opinion about the Bilstein dampers that is no longer relevant/accurate as the shocks have undergone a significant overhaul since (about) 2008. This is about the same time they teamed up with Eibach. You won't find a better matched non-adjustable set of dampers/springs/sways out there because they are matched, not just bundled together.

• Like 1

I am very keen to hear what you think of the change. I am thinking of Koni sport with eibach prokit and stiffer sway bars, which means i will have the dampner setting somewhere around mid way. I believe the H&r sport will be just a little to firm and lower the car that little bit more resulting in the suspension riding the bump stops more? Most of my driving is moderate on back roads with the odd auto x or hill climb. Thoughts? Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

I've used Eibach springs many times in the past and supplied some to other drivers (including one with an E46 M3) who have always given very positive feedback (please excuse the pun!)

I used them on Fords, Mercedes and BMWs in the UK, initially as a replacement when the factory parts got tired, but also on cars that have seen a reasonable amount of track time. They're obviously not as track-suitable (with perhaps the exception of the ClubSport set up) as dedicated race kit, but they're fine for many club racers, especially those on a budget.

I've also used Koni shocks and like them.

As Dave says - the non-adjustable kits are not just a shock and spring setup. They are factory matched to perform a specific task. Also you'll find the Eibach springs vary considerably - E36 316i and 318i get different springs to a 6-cylinder car, and there are variations in the range for different body styles too. And, of course, the entire range of ProKit and SportKit are different.

With out wishing to sound dogmatic that's why the make adjustable shocks - so you CAN actually optimise a specific set up. In this respect it will always be possible to get a better set up with an adjustable shock than a fixed valving shock.

This is true. And I don't want to get into a pissing competition but it's important to note that whilst it's possible to optimise an adjustable setup most people will never be able to do this and will end up with a worse setup than an off-the-shelf non-adjustable setup.

The reality of optimising a suspension setup is that you need a ton of knowledge, a ton of experience and a ton of time. Most people don't have any of that. An adjustable setup in the hands of somebody that can tune it properly is by far the most adaptable setup and as such can be optimised for all sorts of conditions. An adjustable setup in the wrong hands is a disaster waiting to happen.

And that's exactly why I don't have adjustable suspension. I don't need it and by accepting the inherent (albeit small) compromises of a matched non-adjustable setup I've saved time, money and frustration. I've also lost nothing because I don't have a race car.

Most people I know with an adjustable setup fiddle a bit, get it feeling fine and never revisit the settings. Might as well just get a fixed setup.

Although ride-height flexibility with adjustable shocks is appealing in and of itself to some people.

• Like 2

Lol. Who would have guessed?

/thread

• Like 1

Are Koni sports rebound adjustable now Ron, the ones I have seen and used are only compression (bump) adjustable?

Richard, the rebound adjustability of the Konis allows you  to accommodate a variety of spring rates; That is  if you use as soft spring you ease off the rebound control  a medium spring dial in more rebound and for stiff springs a bit more again.

Each time you increase the spring rate you also increase the "release speed" which is how fast / hard the spring pushes the suspension back to the "normal position"

So the rebound control allows you to manage this release - not enough control means the suspension rapidly expands and bounces

Too much and it is slow to react and you loose contact - get skipping and chatter.

SO: if you choose a spring you can dial in the rebound - if you change the spring in the future - you can track that with the rebound control.

My Bike runs an Ohlins front shock which you can adjust the rebound control as you ride  which is awesome - nice smooth surface - dial up the rebound and flatten the bike out and you can get more aggressive on the throttle, hit some shitty stuff just wind it back 5 clicks  and watch the Ducati riders skate all over the road .

If you have in sufficient rebound control it also lets the car roll quickly - so the compensation for this is a stiffer roll bar  - this is common with Bilsteins which have less rebound control than Konis  and produce a choppy ride with firmer springs generally.

The Koni / firmer spring / medium roll bar gives a more linear response to increase in  speed/ acceleration cornering G force.

Awesome explanation. I get it now.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Ok ok, I know this subject like many other can be contentious at the best of times... BUT I really like the conflicting opinions. Well I think I am getting a new set of Konis and near new Bilstein wkth Eibach prokit springs.... lets see what happens ;)

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

I would run factory M3 3.2 evo stuff, all new where applicable.

Sporty and comfortable. Can't go wrong.

I've been an advocate for the Bilstein/Eibach solution because it does represent the majority of things to the majority of users, and it does provide a single-source, nigh-on bolt-up solution that requires little thought and only a little technical expertise. The lower end solutions aren't as flexible as others, but they are good, out of the box.

I've not bought new shocks recently (just springs) but my preference has formally been for Koni kit. For whatever reason, it's not as simple to buy Koni shocks and springs as a solution as it is with the Bilstein/Eibach offering.

FWIW, I do feel the Koni yellows are superb. Certainly not the last word in suspension technology (that's megabucks) but the Yellows are very, very good. Choose springs carefully and you'll have a long-lasting, adaptable and adjustable (if you want!) set-up.

If you want adjustable... If you don't and still prefer Koni, then there is the Str.T kit to consider, too.

• Like 1

my theory on the lean is that the cars are lefthand drive design and when the drivers weight is added  

to the lefthand seat the car levels out,

How does that sound.

Robert. 

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

Like crap from the 1920's - when roads were cambered and vehicles were light  and softly sprung so passenger weight was an influence on ride height.

Don't think that's what he meant at all

• Like 1

Bill's right, 100kg ain't going to make squat (lol) difference to ride height.

But the prevailing internet opinion supports Robert's theory.

Ultimately most e36's lean right and there's no definitive explanation available to the best of my knowledge.

On my e36 I ran Koni Strt's and they worked quite well with factory m Sport springs and sway bars. Not in the same league as Koni Yellow, but the car responded very well and was a pleasure to drive. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2017 at 10:49 PM, M3AN said:

Ultimately most e36's lean right and there's no definitive explanation available to the best of my knowledge.

Ours does, too.

2 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

On my e36 I ran Koni Strt's and they worked quite well with factory m Sport springs and sway bars. Not in the same league as Koni Yellow, but the car responded very well and was a pleasure to drive. 

I'm a fan. Of both the Str.Ts, and the Yellows.

I prefer them to Bilstein B8s.

• Like 1

Yep loved the performance of the Srt.t's in my E34 compared to the B6's i had. They only cost me $550 for all 4 incl shipping and GST when shox.com had a special on back in the day. 

• Like 1