Sign in to follow this  
VIKINGNZ

How much thirsty is this V8, 4,8i 2007 •BMW• X5

Good evening Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am about to buy this beautiful machine, just very curious did anybody know precisely how much is the fuel thirst of this X5 please? Any specific and precise information please, as I am not a "Formula One" driver and I have a quiet smooth and mature driving style. I would love to receive your reliable opinions and observations please!

Thank you so much for your time and your assistance in this matter!

Yours,

Julian.

PS. I just almost forgot:

Please as well any opinions regarding this dealer please! Is he reliable enough? Any observations as well? Is the price too high please? Running cost for this SUV? Is this SUV reliable enough?

http://www.buyrightcars.co.nz/used-cars-for-sale/2007-bmw-x5-48i-sunroof-32817524f1045acd42e351e600ac32aa270d5.jpga50861ce669f5138cf31e3b4bfb330ab.jpg5270ca6791faba4fc604590fdd85aaf2.jpgf54737e199e984ebab0182f00499b815.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Julian Willow

not sure if these get timing chain failure like the earlier model, might pay to ask someone like Glenn or Brent what is common on this model

Google it their are heaps of info on them.

If you're doing mostly urban and a bit of motorway probably around 15l/100km. All urban ~17l/100km. Plenty of figures on the web.

My older E53 4.4i X5 is 15-17 with mostly urban use - giving it occasional welly but mostly cruising.

You don't buy something like this for fuel efficiency (unless you do mostly long-distance open road travel )- you buy it because it is awesome and has 261KW!

Price seems to be fair for mileage, condition and V8. You could spend ~$32K and get one with the 200KW 3l 6 instead which will certainly use less fuel (urban listed at ~13l/100km.

• Like 2

I saw 21 litres per 100 km on one that I checked out that was on school run duties. But the plus side with the 4.8i is they tend to have every option ticked like rear seat heating. They are a quick monster too :-)

The sd diesel would be my pick in a price range near the 48is. Became the 40d .

Edited by Neal

diesels are a a lot more expensive for the same variant.If you are only doing lowish ks you would take years to get the savings back

• Like 2

Can you tell me please guys, what is your preference regarding the type of engine: diesel or petrol? I am confused here in New Zealand, honestly. In Europe we all are driving mostly about 60% diesel vehicles,and whoever decide to buy and drive petrol is using LPG, as cheaper alternative. Here in New Zealand, almost I don't see such a cars. Why?

Edited by Julian Willow

If you're doing mostly urban and a bit of motorway probably around 15l/100km. All urban ~17l/100km. Plenty of figures on the web.

My older E53 4.4i X5 is 15-17 with mostly urban use - giving it occasional welly but mostly cruising.

You don't buy something like this for fuel efficiency (unless you do mostly long-distance open road travel )- you buy it because it is awesome and has 261KW!

Price seems to be fair for mileage, condition and V8. You could spend ~$32K and get one with the 200KW 3l 6 instead which will certainly use less fuel (urban listed at ~13l/100km.

I have a friend who was looking for a diesel, compromised and bought a 3.0i, and has largely regretted it. he wished he'd bought a v8. Finds it barely less thirsty than a V8 for urban.

I had the plan e53 petrol for aboutb 2 years and upgraded to e70 3 diesel about 5 years ago. It has been and still is an awesome beast in terms of power and economy. We average about 10.3 litres per 100 ks during this time and the e53 was averaging 15. Majority of it is urban.

My cousin picked up a 3 si from buy right with some nice specs and its goes ok. He loves driving it and so much so has ignored the economy..make sure you get the Autosure warranty.

• Like 1

Diesels are more expensive, and they hold their value so it's not about "earning the savings back" and it wouldn't take years. Pointless exaggeration on your part.

Yulian- many of us of European decent know and like diesels, for some reason "REAL" Australians, Americans and New Zealanders don't -- Go with what you know.

I am agreed with you. I am changing my mind now accordingly and I am about to buy now an petrol version however I have back in Bulgaria this beauty and I can not bring in New Zealand due to LHD issue. It's pretty expensive to turnout into RHD, that's why I didn't bring it in here unfortunately.

79705ab0f4bd143b90bf60370b1b617e.jpg30ea586a46089998c6c92fcfdb3c8fc4.jpg

Edited by Julian Willow
  • Like 1

the advent iof nice diesel cars is relatively new in NZ.Until fairly recently the quality of NZ diesel did not suit the modern diesel engine.To most kiwis diesel means big truck and clouds of black smoke and poor performance esp on our hilly roads.

The system of taxing diesel is also different .The price at the pump is low but you have pay tax as you go (road user charges,6.2 c per kilometer) and "rego" is more expensive as there is a component of ACC charges that is not collected at the pump.Petrol is fully taxed at the pump.

So most people are unsure of the benefits of the modern diesel and just keep buying petrol cars.Our market is also heavily influenced by relatively new japanese used imports of which few are modern diesels.

I see kiwi535. Just wondering then, if I buy this big petrol engine where in Auckland I can make conversion and to convert the Petrol engine to LPG Engine, successfully and without side issues? In Europe the LPG is largely in use almost everywhere in the industry, in the homes, in the vehicles. Can you recommend me any company who can help me with such a big engine 4,8i please? In Bulgaria I have ideas and I know brands like "BRC", "Lovato", "Landi Renzo" etc.,etc.. Here on New Zealand I am lost.

Regarding the benefits of using Diesel engines I can say that they are a much more fuel efficient and have a great economic impact on your family budget and safe money in your pocket as so far the engine and the vehicle is relatively new up to 5 years old. Then you have a problem! Very expensive parts and repairs of the engine mainly, very often changes of oil filters and etc.,etc.. So it depends on you to decide what to have. If you drive long distances and hours is good to have one diesel. If not the petrol it's ok then.

Edited by Julian Willow

yes i beleive if you do longer distances the diesel is best.Shorter distances petrol is preferable.I can not help with LPG conversions.Some people will have differing opinions.on the break even point between petrol and diesel.Some do not like the engine characteristics of diesels.Some prefer the smooth revability f the V8.Some like the torque of the diesel and the extended range and economy at the pump of the diesel.Some say the crd will have a very high repair cost at some point(injection pump or DPF).

• Like 1

Well that's mean that I must reconsider my purchase and to look after diesel again even in New Zealand? What about Ecological issue and the "black smoke"? Are there some restrictions regarding this "smoke issue more than 10 seconds" ?

Oops that's mean really I must reconsider and I will miss my brand new F25 and F16 what I have at Bulgaria. I will try to find better solution then. I will be not in a hurry as I am living for now downtown Auckland central 1010 and I am ok at the moment, but once I decide to move out of the central part I must to be ready with solution even before that! That's why I am researching now and look out the market in here and I am finding it very exotic. Especially the second hand vehicles market it's pretty good with so many almost new but old fashioned cars and I love it. In Europe 8-10 years old car under 100000km you can not find. No way! In here I saw a lot beautiful old and outdated lovable cars even around 45-50000km which is amazing. I love that!

Edited by Julian Willow
  • Like 1

Ah we just enjoyed the 'opinions' + 'opinion of opinions = stupid' in the ex-govt 730LD thread :)

I agree when you look at TCO then 'higher fuel use = more$$' no matter what the rate per km is. But if there is a focus on the l/100km rate itself then open road driving does mean you get more km for the $$ you're spending. It feels better spending $10 getting to the next town than getting to the next set of lights.

If you're going to drop more than $30K on an X5 then there's no argument that a modern diesel is just awesome and that's where the market is focused today. Diesels do carry a premium and do have better resale. I would much rather have my boss' 18-month old X5 M 4.0D than my V8 X5 I can assure you - not least for the performance :)

If however you're like me then a V8 is cheap ($10k) and I think fun - costs way less to buy, sounds way better, goes well and because I can only drive one of my V8s at a time the kms won't be very high (maybe 7500 per year). My 3 lads think it rocks and my 6 year gets to choose which V8 we take in the morning (most days).

• Like 2

I am agreed with you TermiPeteNZ. I have base to compare F25 xDrive 2,0 Diesel BiTurbo 2015 & F16 xDrive 3,0 Diesel BiTurbo. Amazing fuel efficiency: the firsт have 6,8/100km the second one is 8,5/100km combine urban + highways. The kick-down feeling and the torque is amazing as well. The BiTurbo Diesel engines are amazing. F25 with 135kw/465NM and F16 with 190kw/560NM. With both SUV I have about 15000-17000 km on odometers and I even doesn't noticed when I did this honestly. The riding is smooth and as expected on open roads and in urban conditions. Well this is brand new cars and I don't like to think when they become a 10 years old with more than 100000+ km on Odo. For now I feel lucky to have them unfortunately so far from me. Well I must sort it out now my local needs as they are more important at this stage in my life. So you are telling me that the quality of the New Zealand's Diesel isn't that much high and good, correct or I did get your information wrong? If the quality is not ok so there will be definitely a issues and problems for the new 2012-2016 Diesel engines as those common rails engines are very precise and picky once we talk about fuel. In Europe I used only Premium Diesel from "Shell", "OMV", "BP", and "ECO" fuel stations. Otherwise from the •BMW• dealer told me that I can have a trouble if I use low quality Diesel and my engine can break and blackout and they will not recognize my warranty if wrong fuel is detected in my tank respectively engine. So this is what worries me actually. If I need to buy in New Zealand Diesel vehicle should be an old version of Diesel engine let's say around 2005-2009 maximum. But that's mean that car it will be worn out and on high mileage and that mean high maintenance and expenses. So I will prefer then the Petrol cars with better conditions in overall as engines and interior. What do you think guys?

Edited by Julian Willow

Nz diesel is good quality,its not long ago that we had high sulphur content.

• Like 1

Hey Julian - sorry if I wasn't clear - I believe our diesel is fine - in fact I've always bought BP Ultimate petrol but now my local BP has dropped it and just does 95 - now the *premium* fuel they are offering is 'Ultimate Diesel'! As regards what to buy - as many others on here have said buy on condition - not age or mileage ; get an independent inspection done and cover your risk with a Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) plan - ideally from Autosure/Vero.

• Like 1

Take a chill pill bro - you've said your bit and knocking others' views in an immature way doesn't actually make yours any more right.

I look forward to reading your detailed research report on the matter some point down the track :)

I'm stepping out of this and I'll leave you to it .... find someone else to convince.

• Like 1

Btw that 4.8 x5 e70 is the lowest price is seen on sub 60,000 kms

Closest 4.8 was an NZ new at $38k s few months back. Cheapest sd was around $40k with 75000 kms.

I'm still looking for one but can't pull the trigger until one of the mk1 minis is gone ( wife's rules) ?

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

You get more regardless of where and for how far you drive, this is just the same subjective claptrap from your earlier post .

And comparing a $10k old X5 with a late model diesel and claiming the latter is too expensive is just stupid reverse justification, Really !!!

Compare two $15k X5's , one diesel and one Petrol or : ----- two $40k X5's , one of each and EVERY time the diesel is just streets ahead - and if you like the V8 sound then just get a looping sound track and delude yourself and save the planet at the same time.

And true you cant buy a diesel for 10 grand - thats because they Hold their value whereas you can buy a petrol for as little as 8 grand - I wonder why ?

And don't bother with the myths about servicing costs - modern diesels are very similar to modern petrols - up to 25,000k between services and you can put expensive oil in your petrol V8 as well.

Time to move forward emotiopnal clap trap and subjective argument belong in the rubbish bin - stick to the facts for a decent discussion.

i will try once more.Dont hold back your abuse this time.If you have say 30 k to spend on an x5 and only 30 k.You can get a really nice spec dog for 30k but you cant get a nice 30 k diesel.So you buy the 30 k dog because you dont wnat an old or poverty pack diesel,Julian has figured this out already.You like your 30 k dog wihout the v8 background loop being played back through the stereo.The money you SAVED from buying the EQUIVALENT specced diesel will go towards the increased fuel bill.Dont bother replying

• Like 1

Good boy =)

And that's all for today on "Real Housewives of BImmersport".... see you next time!

• Like 3