Sign in to follow this  
Scrambler

E30 M5X Exhaust Discussion

I'm after some discussion regarding the easiest way of going about this. I was thinking of getting some stainless headers from ebay but might not have access to a TIG or stainless welding machinery so wanted to get something that would be right for the E30 off the bat.

I know the steering knuckles and everything might make it a little awkward to fob up an exhaust in that area. Can anyone recommend a set of headers that don't need much fabrication?

Also is there a recommendation for a muffler probably Remus flavored that give the m5X 6 cylinder a nice throaty deep tone but not overly boy racerish loud? Ive been checking videos out but there seems to be so many options you never know which price point you're getting into or how readily available they are here.

Thanks

not aware of any off the shelf that work, even ones that are sold for RHD cars will need work. I recommend going full custom from the head back. can keep the cost down by using the m20 exhaust and just modifying the front flanges, but the headers themselves get mad up. There are too many variations on mounts both type and material , for one size fits all part in such a tight area.

hope this helps

Use M52 headers as theyre stainless and then work the remainder of the exhaust from there

M52 manifolds, front section cut the lower flange and extend it back further to clear the steering rack. The rear section you just need to cut a V on the under section behing the flanges and then bend the headers in closer to the block then weld them up, you can mig them.

Heres a pic, i think the lower flange was cut and rotated to , since it sits closer to the gearbox needs to fit around. It's very easy to make them fit though.

post-2139-0-35618100-1462226042_thumb.jp

Edited by e30ftw

Ahhh! I actually stupidly thought they must have been cast or something so I didn't bother checking them out. Well that makes it pretty simple then. I thought my biggest dilemma would have been the bend from the mounts straight down because its like a 90degree. That really does make things a lot easier. Could even chop them up a bit to make extractors possibly. I'll show you how I get on, cheers.