Sign in to follow this  
VIKINGNZ

Alpine X008AU 8 inch Navigation Head Unit -It's Worth it?

Good Evening Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am about to buy an SUV. I would like to upgrade the existing unit with this one "Alpine X008AU 8 inch navigation head unit". The price is pretty high 2800$, and before I do something wrong/right I would like to have your opinions regarding the quality and reliability of this product as entertainment and SAT NAV system please!

Thank you so much for your assistance and advices in this matter!

Sincerely yours,

Julian

http://www.alpinecaraudio.co.nz/product/alpine-x008au-8-inch-navigation-head-unit/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on your last post re the kind of SUV you're looking for, 2011/2012 and above should all have BMW CIC iDrive navigation systems, unless you're looking at X1s.

Good Morning Jonoe30! Well, regarding my previous post - actually I am looking for •BMW• x5 Model 2007/2009 4,8i, in excellent condition, low kms on Odo and very low maximum price for it up to 35000$. . If not, the alternative is not •BMW• It should be very probably •Volkswagen TIGUAN 2,0TFSI• -2011-2012 or •Ford KUGA 2,5T• 2012-2013 up to 30000$. Those are the optionally chosen SUV, unfortunately as •BMW• with those specifications are too expensive for my budget at this moment.

Edited by Julian Willow

Yeah you'll be lucky to find a X5 with less than 25,000km (as per your other post) unless its near new. Low KMs aren't necessarily a good thing in a vehicle that's 7-9 years old... you could end up with issues due to it not being used regularly enough, or if it's an export from Japan and it's km are that low it most likely only be used in stop-start traffic around town, which brings with it's own set of problems. I think the average distance per year NZ vehicles cover is 14,000km.

​Anyway... Tiguan's are decent for around town, obviously not as fast as an X5, but will be a lot more economical - just get a mechanical warranty (on anything you buy) to cover you for any DSG transmission issues in the VWs. They have become much more reliable, but are still expensive if things go wrong.

Re satnav: You'd probably be best just to buy yourself a TomTom or Navman and stick it in the corner of your windscreen if you want navigation and the vehicle doesn't have it... some buyers (myself included) would be put off by an aftermarket headunit in a modern vehicle with a headunit sculpted to match the interior, so it could affect your resale value.

Thank You Jonoe30! Well I just missed one X5 2008 on 33872km in immaculate condition for just 36980$. I am agreed with you regarding all what you are saying and I will do purchase definitely "Premium Warranty" with any SUV what I will purchase. I was thinking about 7' •GARMIN• as well like an option and it will work at least as a last resort. Just trying to get the best I can if deserve it. Btw of those 3 brands •GARMIN• •TOMTOM• •NAVMAN• which one is the best regards price and effectiveness?