Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Extensive roll cage for Z3 roadster?

I love M coupes.

But they are expensive and you can only really drive them

Projects are fun

I was thinking perhaps a Z3 coupe would be a good base, but remove all the crap at the back, boot, and convertible gear

Developed an extensive roll cage that has the same general outter dimessions as the M coupe rear frame work

Of course this would need to be nicely done and meet regulations as well as be designed in the right way so it actually works as a strengethening device

Outter skin with perhaps alloy sheeting and lexin windows could be used for the upper body work, rivited style similar to that of a Landrover Defender, not perfect but nice

Yes I'm just being crazy with ideas, but I think there would be some potential to a project like this, thoughts?

Of course motor upgrades are another matter.

c_Z3_M.jpg

• Like 1

That would look hideous without the massively widened feders etc that the M coupe has.

• Like 1

Actually they aren't that much wider, the M coupe has a narrow rear cabin giving that 'massively widened' rear, the Z3s width is much the same as is the rear fender shape.

The idea of something like this is to make a Z3 stronger and actually a proper drivers car, not for a beauty contest.

Most people don't like the M coupe anyway.

z3 have bolt on rear guards , and order new wider hubs etc

• Like 1

There are only a couple of exterior painted areas on a Z3 that can not be unbolted. The small piece that runs across the rear of the convertible top and just in front of the boot lid is one. Its part of the structure of the car. You'll have to remove it to make the rear of the car usable and will need a lot of engineering redesign to remove it and replace it's strength with the new roll cage.

• Like 1

Most people don't like the M coupe anyway.

Errrr.....!

Errrr.....

Dubious statement it was

I guess they are a love hate car, is probably what I should have said.

z3 have bolt on rear guards , and order new wider hubs etc

The whole trailing arms are different. z3m / coupe rear arms have far more negative offset to accomodate the wider rear wheels.