Sign in to follow this  
BrokeMyWallet

135i - new owner questions

Hi All,

Just picked up a 135i msport recently. Enjoying the car so far but I can't quite figure out a few things. The car is a Japanese import 2011 E82 Coupe, build date 2010-10.

1. Voice Commands
    The voice commands button on the steering wheel does nothing. According to the manual, I'm supposed to see a voice command icon in the control display at the top left corner - I don't see that either. I already looked this up and read that it only works if the language is set to English. I confirmed mine is set to "English UK" - the only 3 options I've got is "English UK", "French" and "Spanish".
  2. Control Display Brightness
    The display is too dim during the day and too bright at night. I'm forever adjusting the brightness manually. At night when I'm driving I like the cabin very dark. Why doesn't it automagically dim? Is there a configurable setting somewhere that can be changed? Similarly, is it possible to get the it to switch the map to night mode after dark? In this case, when I say "day" I mean "headlights off" and night is "headlights on" (the car is fitted with auto headlights).
  3. Album Art display over Bluetooth
    The car has a CIC i-Drive system with working NZ navigation. I can stream music from my phone and it shows me the artist, album, track name but there is no album art. Not a big deal but how do I get my album art which I spent hours if not days collecting and organising to show up :mellow:
  4. Software Updates
    Since the car is a Japanese import which originally had Japanese language/Japanese maps etc which has since been switched to English by the car yard that I got it from. Is it safe to update the software in the car to the latest versions? I don't want to inadvertently replace the "factory standard" settings which may change everything to Japanese?
  5. Tool Kit
    I don't see any sort of tool kit in the car. The manual says it should be "stored below the floor mat in the cargo area." but the only thing under the mat in the cargo area in my car is the battery. Has my tool kit gone for a walk somewhere down the import process?

Any assistance appreciated!

Is it possible it was flashed with the wrong firmware for the features?

my 120 d had the smallest most pathetic toolkit i have ever seen in any kind of car,I think it was a screwdriver and a spanner and a tow eye

Is it possible it was flashed with the wrong firmware for the features?

Unsure. As I understand it you can "Code in" stuff that wasn't there before.. e.g. for retrofitting cruise control etc

There is a LOT of conflicting information about this car on the internet. Some even say there's no launch control until 2013. Cutting through this and getting to the facts has proved extremely difficult. In fact, the manual that I downloaded direct from the BMW website makes no control of launch control either, yet my car definitely has it.

Also, I have NO tool kit. Not even a tow eye. This is what's "Under the mat in the cargo area":

hn50gesy.kvu.jpg
Edited by bung206

You should have at least one tow eye, if it's not under the boot, is it in either of the cubbys in the side of the boot?