Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

E34 535i

Ex UK 535i msport suspension, LSD, sport seats.

Trying to get the suspension sorted and have replaced all shocks and shock mounts, thrust arm bushes and had wheel alignment. Am still getting some self steer and wheel shake under brakes. I checked the control arms bushes, ball joints and steering link, not new but no noticeable play. Am going to check rear pitman arms next....

It could be your brake rotors need replacing.

Yeah its the self steering I hate, does this when not on the brakes almost like it shifts off axis. Have swapped front hubs and struts to get rid of 2 bad wheel bearings when i did the shocks, and has new WOF from my trusted Indy.

Car veers slightly and requires opposite steer to hold on a straight line. Its like some weight has shifted sides. I can't work out if its the rear enzd shifting or the front. Seems to return to centre OK.

Car veers slightly and requires opposite steer to hold on a straight line. Its like some weight has shifted sides. I can't work out if its the rear enzd shifting or the front. Seems to return to centre OK.

What size wheels and tires are you running?

Sometimes tracking can be caused by larger rims and tyres.

Just had an alignment but thanks for those pointers.

What size wheels and tires are you running?

Sometimes tracking can be caused by larger rims and tyres.

17's not really low profile tyres.

Edited by etwenty1

Some alignment places know what they are doing, some REALLY don't. Seriously!

Does the print out show everything within specs? Is the printout for the correct car and specs?

One alignment place setup one of my old VW vans as the offroad 4WD version, which is completely different (tierods forward vs rearwards etc) and it handled like a plastic Mcdonalds tray. Got it done right, somewhere decent, and it was awesome!

Same with the E39 - they last place got the rear tyres to wear 100% evenly, as I requested.

may pay to check.

Found that car had fair bit of play in the steering on centre. Adjusted screw under the air box and is 90% better.

• Like 1