Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Spidery corrosion on alloys, removal method?

What is the cause of this corrosion, what is the best method to remove it?

post-1298-0-71374300-1463199223_thumb.jp

That looks like the clear coat is failing, only fix is to strip and refinish the rim I'm afraid.

Yes, moisture has gotten behind the clearcoat and started corroding the aluminium, you could spot sand it and clearcoat in patches, but as Dave said a complete strip and refinish is the proper method from this point.

When you mention clearcoat. Is that a special rim clear coat? I have this issue on rims i just brought off a person. Cheers

When you mention clearcoat. Is that a special rim clear coat? I have this issue on rims i just brought off a person. Cheers

I doubt it, depending on who did them it will be clear topcoat as used on metallic car paint, or clear powder coating, nothing special. If it was really cheaply done it will be a clear laquer spray can job, which wont last long.

Just fixed some AMG monoblocks with the same issue. Took me on avg 2hrs per rim but that was due to curbing and not taking the tyres off which would of made it easier.

Used aircraft stripper on the lip to remove clear coat without touching the center(which is painted grey in my case), used dremel tool to remove curbing and sanded with 240-1500 grit paper, polished the lips Autosol then wax for protection.

You don't need to clearcoat if you keep them maintained.

carnauba wax is the best protection for bare metal. Its not a permanent thing though so has to be reapplied every 3-4 months. Looks a million bucks though.

• Like 1