Sign in to follow this  
TermiPeteNZ

Nice 2005 M3 for sale in Welly

Its in miles and an SMG, overpriced I reckon!

Imported from the UK in 2014, so rust could be an issue, as was seen in the CS also for sale at the moment - note: the CS owner (Justin) did the right thing and got it sorted.

$25k is probably about market.

Why can't some people do the basic math on the milaege when they put up the ad? Stupid to put in miles when it displays km next to the figure.

I also reckon it's not going to sell at that price. More like 20k.

• Like 1

Being smg good chance the 2nd gear syncro's will be fine and won't need a new transmission as a result.

2005 has all the revisions and may have some of the csl parts depending on build date. price seems about right.

Those rear tyres look suspiciously undersized for those rims.

Who lists a car with only two photos of the same side as well, where are all the other exterior shots, interior and engine bay?

Some of the worst mistakes sellers make is poorly representing what they are trying to sell. They instantly make it harder for themselves.

• Like 2

Really need to ditch the stretched POS rubber bands and fit some real rubber to make those wheels look good.

I agree that about 20K is the right sort of price based on SMG and Miles (and being a UK import).

Haven't seen the condition, but don't really get comments about this being over priced. Some people are all about the later MY, and the KMs are no higher than many others listed. Could be a good buy at mid $20s

Why can't some people do the basic math on the milaege when they put up the ad? Stupid to put in miles when it displays km next to the figure.

I also reckon it's not going to sell at that price. More like 20k.

I'm a bit biased as I brought a 2004 M3 home with me when I returned to NZ a few years ago. You really can't make assumptions without having a look first as mine actually cleaned up very nicely. Don't forget many components are aluminium on an M3 and most salt washes away with a marine salt remover. Some components get a bit rusty but a scrub with a wire brush is all it takes to make it look reasonable. I'm not saying they are anywhere near as clean as a NZ car but they can be made to look quite good. The other thing you have to remember with UK cars is everyone over there demands a FBMWSH and they get it. The upshot - most UK cars have been serviced regularly as per the book, unlike many cars here which most people tend to skimp on after a few years. It is easy to code the odometer from miles to km with winkfp and a new mylar km dash insert (identical to the M original) is available from Poland for 50 Euros if you really don't want miles on the outside ring on the speedo. Slight risk removing the needle to fit it but it only takes 10 minutes on a good day.

a new mylar km dash insert (identical to the M original) is available from Poland for 50 Euros if you really don't want miles on the outside ring on the speedo. Slight risk removing the needle to fit it but it only takes 10 minutes on a good day.

Got a link to this?? All the afternarket km speedo face I have seen have been subpar in quality and transparency in the correct parts on the dash.

Needles are easy to remove and replace on the e46 dash and recalibrate with INPA.

Oh and anyone that says you can buy a 2005 e46 m3 with similar km as above for $20k let me know so I can buy it!!!I've yet to come across one!!!

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

160,000km isnt that great...

Vin appears to be WBSBL92040PP87343

Got a link to this?? All the afternarket km speedo face I have seen have been subpar in quality and transparency in the correct parts on the dash.

Needles are easy to remove and replace on the e46 dash and recalibrate with INPA.

Oh and anyone that says you can buy a 2005 e46 m3 with similar km as above for $20k let me know so I can buy it!!!I've yet to come across one!!!

This is the one I know about. http://moman.pl/eu/bmw-e46-m3---replacement-dial---converted-from-mph-to-km-h,4,252050.html

Cheers, might just have to buy one to look at quality. Shame it's missing the M logo on the dial face.

• Like 1

Cheers, might just have to buy one to look at quality. Shame it's missing the M logo on the dial face.

I asked about that quite a while ago and they said they could do it but as M is trademark they were being a bit careful.

Why do they always list SMG cars as a manual, aren't they auto's?

Doesn't use a clutch pedal but gearbox has a clutch. Gear change is either activated via user input via gear lever or paddles. Alternatively the gearbox computer can shift gear.

Designed as a manual with the option of auto clutch control.

An auto has a torque converter in my view.

Why do they always list SMG cars as a manual, aren't they auto's?

oh you dunnit now

IMO no car that can shift gears its self should ever be listed as a manual.

• Like 1

IMO no car that can shift gears its self should ever be listed as a manual.

Agreed. I love manual's but I'd feel daft telling people mine was a manual (335i with DCT, which also has no torque converter).

It's quite simple, are you shifting gears manually or is an automated system changing it for you?

And by shifting manually I mean operating the clutch yourself.

Also it makes searching Trademe ect easier. If yoiu want a manual you're going to put that in your search folder, and get pissed every time you open an ad and see the interior photos which show it being SMG...

Seen the same BS on E9x M3s and 335is with DCT transmissions.

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

Still shifts its self, thus not a true "manual"

/endthread

2 pedals - auto.

3 pedals - manual.

Foot emergency brake doesn't count.

FFS...it's a manual gearbox as you have complete control over when you change gear. Also the internals of the SMG box bear no resemblance at all to the insides of an automatic box. What's more you can manually change gear in well under 1/10 sec perfectly, every time, under constant heavy acceleration...not many automatic transmissions can do that.

But when you are holding a powerslide and the engine starts bogging down, can you disengage the clutch, let the engine revs build some angular momentum and then sidestep the clutch to keep the wheels spinning? No? sad . . .

Can you hold 3,4 or 5000rpm and then engage and lay rubber? No? sad . . . .

Unless you maybe have that burnout mode they put in some of the later ones

There's what is technically a manual and then there's what can REALLY be done with an actual clutch pedal . . . .

Edited by BlackAngel
  • Like 1