Sign in to follow this  
E36MSport

Full Repaint

I know this is an open ended question but has anyone had a full repaint done recently that could advise on cost expectations? Car in question is an E36 coupe , no rust, no dents, some rock chips and will remain the same colour. Just looking for a ballpark idea so I don't get ripped.

Just for paint and under coat 2pak and paint it myself $472.00

• Like 1

I recently got a two quote to respray the wagon, note this was not a glass out job, just repair a few dings and dents and respray in original colour $4k plus gst.

I recently got a two quote to respray the wagon, note this was not a glass out job, just repair a few dings and dents and respray in original colour $4k plus gst.

That sounds like either something serious needed doing, or someone didn't really want the work.

I wouldnt pay less then 5 or 6k for a paint job. 95% of cars will need some sort of panel work done. I used to be a panelbeater. The cheaper you go the na

stier it will look. If you are keeping the car pay decent money for a paint job. And get the car stripped properly ( glass out and the rest ) otherwise it wont look as good.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wouldnt pay less then 5 or 6k for a paint job. 95% of cars will need some sort of panel work done. I used to be a panelbeater. The cheaper you go the nastier it will look. If you are keeping the car pay decent money for a paint job. And get the car stripped properly ( glass out and the rest ) otherwise it wont look as good.

I appreciate what you're saying, and it's true.

Hard to justify a $6k panel and paint job on a daily driver worth $8k, though. I'd like to get the multitude of stone chips sorted on our car (a consequence of driving SH1 every day) but the cost is hard to justify.

Yeah thats very true. But if you cheap out on painting it all the stone chips will rust up in a few years. And things like that.

Also alot of people wouldnt see what I would see I in paint. One of the curses of working in the industry.

How much money you spend all depends on how long you want to keep the car for. I have seen a lot of paint jobs that are cheap jobs that only last a year or two before they shrink back awfully and looks worse then it did before you had it painted.

You can always get a car painted in sections though if its easier on the bank that way.

How much money you spend all depends on how long you want to keep the car for. I have seen a lot of paint jobs that are cheap jobs that only last a year or two before they shrink back awfully and looks worse then it did before you had it painted.

You can always get a car painted in sections though if its easier on the bank that way.

The osf wing on my 190E is a case in point. Looked good when I bought the car although I could see it had been painted - subtle shade difference - but is now a bit of a shambles. :(

I've struggled to find someone who will paint a panel at a time. If we weren't using the car so much, I'd take the bonnet off and take into the shop!

Yeah my car has pretty much a small ding on every panel, the price seems consistent though in AKL for what I wanted. I went to two reputed panel and paint shops, I am sure I will get the cheaper quotes from other places.

Embrace the stone chips! They're badges of honour.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. At this stage it seems a bit over the top to drop that kind of coin into a car that was purchased for $2k. I've worked as a painter before overseas and the prices here are more than double what we used to charge so just wanted a bit of a second opinion. I think I'll look into a diy job and "invest" in some new tools. Can do a bit of practicing on bumper covers and what not until ready to spray the top.

• Like 1

I wouldnt pay less then 5 or 6k for a paint job. 95% of cars will need some sort of panel work done. I used to be a panelbeater. The cheaper you go the na

stier it will look. If you are keeping the car pay decent money for a paint job. And get the car stripped properly ( glass out and the rest ) otherwise it wont look as good.

I'm calling bs on your generalization of cheap = nasty.

There's a few members on this forum that paid waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than 5-6k on a paint job and i'm pretty sure they were happy with the results.

In fact one member got his car done twice 3 years apart by the same person to tidy it up, both times were re-sprays.

• Like 2

WOW !!! LTNS John :P thought we might have lost you to the ciggies :o ... how's it all going ??

BTW..... Happy Birthday.... I hope you're having a great day :D

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 1

WOW !!! LTNS John :P thought we might have lost you to the ciggies :o ... how's it all going ??

BTW..... Happy Birthday.... I hope you're having a great day :D

Hiya Glenn. I'm still lurking, and unfortunately still putting up with "that" dirty demon (tho' I wish I wasn't)

Keep pretty silent these days as I don't have a Bimmer so keep my nose out lol. I do speak up 'IF' I need to tho'. (Hence above post)

Thank you for the 'HB'.

• Like 1