Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Wall insulation in the roof...

So odd question.. but there must be a reason that wall insulation is different to roof, or is it all just marketing? i have a bale left over from renovations and am thinking i might use it in the garage now we are coming in to winter.

particularly concerned if there is any added fire risk.

edit: it is a versalite garage or whatever they are called, the kit set type.

cheers

Andy

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

you can use wall batts in the ceiling but not ceiling batts in the walls different R ratings, I can't see a fire risk.

Roof insulation usually has a higher R rating, wall insulation has to fit in a 90mm cavity, roof insulation can be thicker, otherwise its the same.

great thanks guys!!

Its the same - just a different shape.

Check r ratings too

you can use wall batts in the ceiling but not ceiling batts in the walls different R ratings, I can't see a fire risk.

Other way round mate.

• Like 1

Oh yeah they're different sizing too for different framing spacings.

Throw them in Andy.

No issues with fire rating.

Wall insulation is generally 90mm and have a lower 'R' value than ceiling which is significantly thicker.

Need a bit more info Andy are they wall batts or ceiling should say on the wrapping? If wall batts should be no problem if ceiling might be wrong size and need to be cut plus protrude out passed the stud edge and course some problem if you are going to line that area later. The reason is the wall batts are generally sized to fit the stud spacing most homes are either 600 or 400 centres . The last time I fitted these the wall batt rating was 2.8 and ceiling 3.2 or greater I believe and at 2.8 one could start to feel some resistance the gib sheet was being fitted. To get the max out of the batts and your time in fitting them they need to be fitted neatly not compressed or loose in the spaces. Also does the garage have building paper or not?

you need to ensur the insulation wont get wet from consensation,Of course that will apply to the walls and the roof of your versatile garage.as others have said wall batts are up to 90 mm thick,ceiling can be 150 mm thick,and cut to different widths

Edited by kiwi535

its just a tin shed and i have a bag of insulation.

dont really need to over complicate the whole thing!

• Like 1

You should really be looking at doing an H1 calculation and submit this to the HCC for approval. You'll probably get away with doing the schedule method in this case.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

its just a tin shed and i have a bag of insulation.

dont really need to over complicate the whole thing!

Well you will definitely need a council permit then

Need a bit more info Andy are they wall batts or ceiling should say on the wrapping? If wall batts should be no problem if ceiling might be wrong size and need to be cut plus protrude out passed the stud edge and course some problem if you are going to line that area later. The reason is the wall batts are generally sized to fit the stud spacing most homes are either 600 or 400 centres . The last time I fitted these the wall batt rating was 2.8 and ceiling 3.2 or greater I believe and at 2.8 one could start to feel some resistance the gib sheet was being fitted. To get the max out of the batts and your time in fitting them they need to be fitted neatly not compressed or loose in the spaces. Also does the garage have building paper or not?

Love "ceiling might be wrong size". Just resize your roof then. :-)

Seriously, with a vapour barrier, any insulation is going to be an improvement....