Sign in to follow this  
dreamkast

Side mirror not folding back correctly

When I ever I turn on my car my left side mirror over rotates all the way till its facing the wrong way(makes a loud clicking sound as it rotates past its normal point).

SUBJECT

Power Fold Mirror Position Incorrect

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E63, E64 (6 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E82, E88 (1 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E85, E86, E89 (Z4) equipped with power fold mirrors

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

F01, F02 (7 Series)

SITUATION
One or both mirrors appear to have folded out further than the standard position. The incorrect position of the mirror housing is typically not visually noticeable and as such, the customer typically states that the mirror glass is not in the stored position.

Folding the mirror in and out does not restore the correct mirror housing position.

CAUSE
The mirror has shifted outward from its standard home position. The new position is now stored as the home position.

CORRECTION
Do not replace any parts.

Reset the mirror home position using the following procedure.

PROCEDURE

1. Fold the mirror in using the power fold button on the door switch block.

2. Grasp the folding part of the mirror and fold it outward manually. The mirror housing will disengage from the mirror base and will now be in the breakaway position.

3. Operate the mirror via the power fold button. The mirror will now fold out past the expected end stop.

4. Operate the mirror via the power fold button again to fold the mirror in. When the mirror is fully folded in, the motor will continue to run until a clicking and/or popping sound is heard. This sound is the mirror housing resetting its position.