Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Miss M will have a car

What turned out to be the fault with the cooling system?

What turned out to be the fault with the cooling system?

Not got to that yet. Symptoms point to a duff thermostat - car runs fine, but temp gauge doesn't get out of cold when moving. The needle will move to a normal operating position if stuck in traffic, but as soon as moving again it drops back to the cold end of the gauge.

Doesn't overheat, doesn't appear to use any coolant.

Does blow warm air.

I have a replacement thermostat which I'll fit at the weekend. Only real issue is that the car will use more fuel, but obvioiusly I'll keep an eye on things in the meantime.

Suspension springs have been replaced with some 'red ones'. (Edit: After speaking to the PO again, I'm told the springs were fitted by the PPO and are probably Jamex Superlows; bought off TradeMe, definitely. The PPO ran Cooper Tyres, apparently.)

Front shocks have been replaced with something from Monroe, rear shocks look to be stock.

My biggest issue is not turning this into a project... I found myself looking up rear disc brake conversions earlier! (This model has drums.)

Edited by gjm

Drums on the rear, really? That's pretty poor.

Only on the lower-end cars. 316i, 318i and 318tds from 1989-2000.

The car looks good Graham. One of the bonuses of using a potato as a camera :)

It is allegedly a 5MegaPotato camera! Must have more eyes than lesser potatoes.

Edited by gjm

Unless she plans to track it the drums should be fine, I've got them on my ti and they have stopped me just fine in a hairy situation!

Brakes are a bit softer than I'd like, but I'm fussy. They work. I think I said before, a bleed and new fluid may make a difference, maybe some new flexible hoses. Pads and shoes look fine.

Driving is, on the journeys we're doing, uneventful. The engine thrums along nicely with no unexpected noises. Once warm, tickover takes a while to settle to something around 850rpm (I've not checked what it should be) - it's fine when cold, but coming to a halt after 40-50km of SH1 sees idle at 1100rpm, very slowly settling to something under 1k.

I can see why short shifter kits are popular. Changing gear involves moving to the next town! OK, so not that bad, but it does seem to have a long throw.

The Style 73s really seem to suit the car. They look good, and drive very nicely. I must get the alignment done as the steering wheel is about 30 degrees off from where it should be.

I would like to get some different mirrors for the wing mirrors. The E46 has a 'wide angle' piece at the outer edge of the mirrors - is something similar available for the E36?

I'll probably replace the (thought to be) Jamex springs at some point. I can get an Eibach Pro-kit (-30mm, front and rear) reasonably economically.

There are some cosmetic bits and pieces that would be nice to deal with. The peeling lacquer (aka clearcoat) is not something I'm going to worry about unduly, but there are some seals and suchlike that would certainly benefit from being replaced. I have a feeling that the rear screen has been replaced at somepoint, and it's quite an untidy job. Of course, it may just have been resealed and I overlooked it.

The plastic piece that runs the width of the car under the front windscreen has been thoroughly chewed up at some point. A faff to replace, but it'll look much nicer if it's done.

Other than that - it's a nice car to drive. Feels nimble. No idea at present about the economy but hopefully it'll be pretty good. The economy gauge sits at between 4 and 6 litres per 100km under a light foot on SH1.

So far - happy.

Have you checked the plastic coolant pipes on the back of the head and under the intake manifold? Might pay to at least replace the one on head for piece of mind, shitty BMW plastics in all.

• Like 1

Have you checked the plastic coolant pipes on the back of the head and under the intake manifold? Might pay to at least replace the one on head for piece of mind, shitty BMW plastics in all.

Hmm. No.

The flange - p/n 11531247122 found towards the front of the engine has been replaced, and I have a new thermostat. If I'm going to drain the cooling system I may as well do it just once.

Can you point me in the right direction for part numbers?

11531739208 - Back of the head

11531714738 - Side of the block under intake manifold

• Like 2

11531739208 - Back of the head

11531714738 - Side of the block under intake manifold

Brilliant - thanks.

Check the water pump, radiator and expansion tank while you are at it.

Check the water pump, radiator and expansion tank while you are at it.

Radiator and expansion tank already checked. Rad looks all-but new.

Water pump... Not sure. No sign of any issues though - no noises or leaks. That will be my next stop if replacing the thermostat doesn't sort the low temperature issue.

Now the fun starts.

Miss M has passed her driving theory test, and now has a learner license.

She got 34/35. Let's hope the one she missed wasn't too important!

• Like 1

Now the fun starts.

Miss M has passed her driving theory test, and now has a learner license.

She got 34/35. Let's hope the one she missed wasn't too important!

She's going to be a BMW driver - it would have been one about indicators :D

• Like 3

Huge thanks to Colin - Kopua Cowboy - for the gearknob. The interior is pretty tidy, and the gearknob was really letting things down (as Dave saw!)

I'll start a project thread, but here's today:

post-51211-0-78185700-1468133333_thumb.j

post-51211-0-84525000-1468133337_thumb.j

Replaced the rear (Jamex?) Superlows with Eibach ProKit springs. So much nicer - looks better (in our opinion!), rides better.

Might get the fronts done tomorrow.

• Like 4

Looks like a bit of education going on too!

It's a start with the basics and go from there thing. 17mm AF Doesn't mean 17mm As F!@# - it's 17mm Across Flats.. ;)

She's enjoying it.

• Like 4

I'm trying to persuade Miss M to start her own project thread... She has created a forum ID - 'Miss M' - but that's as far as it's got at the moment. :) If you see her post, be gentle, eh?

She's really good and knowledgeable with Snapchat, Instagram and things like that, but has never used a forum, and very, very rarely touches email. Insight into the next generation of internet users?

• Like 3

no worries Graham, she's well ahead of most - she's out of doors, and learning how to use a spanner?! She'll probably recognise that - for around 50% of the time, forums demand some cogent thought; this should be similar to the essays she needs to write at school. Inject a little humility, humour, and consideration, and it's way ahead of the other social media in terms of expressing ideas.

She'll do fine. A great opportunity for this community to monitor its entrenched behaviours and self-moderate!

• Like 1

Who is teaching who though?

• Like 2

Who is teaching who though?

Oi!

Oh... I see what you mean... :blush: