Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Comprehensive article on E30/E36 Control Arm Bushings

Hi Guys, came across this link that takes you through the various options, weighing them all up etc.

http://www.rtsauto.com/e30-control-arm-bushing-upgrades-also-applicable-to-e36-comprehensive-guide-on-control-arm-bushings/

i sort of think this might be worth sticking in this forum? let me know, will let it be decided first.

Cheers.

Not sure that the detail on E36 is correct , from my memory:

Stock E 36 ran 5 degrees caster

The first Euro M3's ran offset bushes with stock arms and had 7.5 degrees caster

The Evo ran the different arms and the caster went out to 9 degrees

There are three components that set E36 caster which are (1) the Control arm bush (2) the top mount and (3) the actual control arm geometry - mixing and matching allows you to get from 5.0 to 9 degrees of caster with "stock" M3 components or aftermarket replacements like Powerflex etc.

i would be interested to know if someone here with an Evo (an unmolested one) has the offset bushes or not.

i would be interested to know if someone here with an Evo (an unmolested one) has the offset bushes or not.

My Compact has offset lollipops with evo arms, the front wheel almost touches the front bumper with DSII M3 wheels and OEM tyre size

My Compact has offset lollipops with evo arms, the front wheel almost touches the front bumper with DSII M3 wheels and OEM tyre size

ah yep so article would be right then, the Evo went back to standard bushes

So how much caster is your compact running ?

i think it would be about 9 degrees with eve arms and offset bushes when fitted in an E36 chassis. if fitted to an E30 it also depends on if using evo kingpins as well or regular E36 kingpins.

i think it would be about 9 degrees with eve arms and offset bushes when fitted in an E36 chassis. if fitted to an E30 it also depends on if using evo kingpins as well or regular E36 kingpins.

It was ~9.5 but I have since swapped to Evo camber tops and that's added a bit more as they sit further back.

So offset bushes and Evo arms give 9 degrees - that suggests that factory setup had centralised control arm bushes because factory was 9- 38' for the Evo

correct.