Sign in to follow this  
E36MSport

Steel Vs Aluminium Flywheel

Just about to drop some coin on a new flywheel and clutch set. Looks like the aluminium flywheels are about 4.8kgs and the light steel ones are about 6.5kgs. Anyone have much experience with either being more appropriate for a spirited street car build? Car in question is an E36 328i. Surely either would have a performance advantage over stock so i guess I'm more concerned with longevity and how user friendly one would be vs. the other.

I wouldn't go too light, 6.5kg is fine for a flywheel and plenty light compared to the stock dual mass. Any lighter and your idle suffers and you also get alot more chatter and gearbox noise, maybe not so much with a ZF box but my Getrag box is really loud with a 6.3kg flywheel. I put in a mix of thicker oil and it quietened it but it's still pretty loud and can get annoying.

• Like 1

One of the other big factors, and one I mostly overlooked; is the compound of the friction disc, and pressure plate. I went with the NZAD kit, which ended up being well heavy on the pedal, and not so easy as a stop start daily driver. I know of another guy with an NZAD flywheel who changed to an M3 replacement clutch and said it was mint.

No problems with the weight of the flywheel, 6.7kg they reckon.

alluminium flywheel for the win! I have ordered an extra light flywheel for my m20 set up

Where are you guys sourcing your aluminium flywheels? Looking at bringing one in from the US but if there are some in NZ that would be great.

there is a kit on trademe NZD or whatever they are called do them, i am currently tossing up between that and the Turner Motorsport kit.

Have a look at www.jbracing.com, too.

there is a kit on trademe NZD or whatever they are called do them, i am currently tossing up between that and the Turner Motorsport kit.

NZAD's TM kit is chromoly (steel)...

Gripforce.com is good, they have a mix of kits / flywheels.

Gripforce is the company that I am looking at. Will pull the trigger and provide feedback when it shows up.

Don't get too hung up on flywheel weights , they are only a part of the equations.

A super light flywheel will spin up real quick when the car is in neutral but will not smooth out the idle and may end up with gearbox chatter

When you put it in gear and try and spin the whole drive train up, saving 2kg at the fly wheel can be totally lost by heavier wheels and tyres.

My X5 spins up much quicker on 245/ 65/17s which tip the scales at 22kg on the wheels, than it does on the 285/45 19's which weigh in a about 32kg - and most of that weight is in the rim and tyre ( not the centre) so it's a monster of a flywheel and there are 4 of them (4WD)

I'm looking at the 6.3kg flywheel option - and then what else I can get out of the drive train. already running light wheels and tyres.

Given the much higher rpm change the flywheel experiences (especially in first gear) you might find lowering its weight by just a few kg doubles down on your 'spin up' time savings...

The goods have arrived. Pretty happy with the overall quality vs price. Threaded holes are all helicoiled the full length, pin alignment is good, no shipping damage, good welds on the ring gear.

gallery_53299_654_149647.jpg

gallery_53299_654_559762.jpg

gallery_53299_654_57115.jpg

gallery_53299_654_36897.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, I have the same one. They are good quality for the price.

My flywheel is lighter than your flywheel ? ;-)

post-51211-0-25896200-1465531739.jpg

This one is on a M12.

The M12 is for sale if anyone wants one.

Why does it appear there is an ali plug (I'll assume it's steel with just a weird weld/cleaning/camera) welded into one of the ring gear holes? with a cap screw stuck in it for good measure?