Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

Daily required for motorway miles

I have around 4-5K and want something to handle the 5-600km a week I do on the motorway with my kids sport. Both the X5 and 535is do this brilliantly but moving to something which can get 6-7 l/100km rather than the 11/12 they do would save me plenty over the year.

Needs to be 2001+ and preferably not silver. High mileage doesn't worry me if it has a good history.

There are plenty of e46 318i's for as low as 3k and the odd 118i comes in at 5k. Both seem to offer around 6-7km/100l. As it's all motorway driving I get a much better return than advertised combined averages. It just needs to comfortably handle cruising at 100kph. Doesn't have to a BMW, I'm looking at a Peugeot 407HDi this week.

I could offer my wifes e39 530i if someone is looking to upsize.

Tempted to offer our 320d, but we're still racking up significant mileage too. 150kms yesterday evening to take Miss M to youth club!

friends mum is selling a 2003 318ti auto dark blue jap imported in 07 done just 100,xxx kms now and shes owned since it was imported i believe.

not sure about service history but looks pretty tidy. think they want around $5k.

fyi martyyn ruc is 6.2 c a kilometre now,rego is much cheaper than it used to be for a diesel

• Like 1

Tempted to offer our 320d, but we're still racking up significant mileage too. 150kms yesterday evening to take Miss M to youth club!

Yours is the inspiration to be honest. As much as I love driving the 535is or the X5 with it's comfort seats I cant justify them to travel 110km five times a week to my sons football academy. There was a 320D recently which went for $2500 but the wife still needed convincing ! I don't think you can go wrong with something that cheap.

friends mum is selling a 2003 318ti auto dark blue jap imported in 07 done just 100,xxx kms now and shes owned since it was imported i believe.

not sure about service history but looks pretty tidy. think they want around $5k.

I'd prefer a non-Ti as this stage unless it was red and manual ;)

fyi martyyn ruc is 6.2 c a kilometre now,rego is much cheaper than it used to be for a diesel

Cheers Paul, I've got my spreadsheet all sorted but haven't adjusted for the lower rego yet. Your 120d was great and over 25k kms at 5l/100km I reckon it would save me over 3k a year over the X5. But the diesel premium on the purchase price over a 118 is huge. I'd rather put 5k into the purchase and immediate servicing of an e46 320d and just drive it until it broke.

Yours is the inspiration to be honest. As much as I love driving the 535is or the X5 with it's comfort seats I cant justify them to travel 110km five times a week to my sons football academy. There was a 320D recently which went for $2500 but the wife still needed convincing ! I don't think you can go wrong with something that cheap.

I'd prefer a non-Ti as this stage unless it was red and manual ;)

Cheers Paul, I've got my spreadsheet all sorted but haven't adjusted for the lower rego yet. Your 120d was great and over 25k kms at 5l/100km I reckon it would save me over 3k a year over the X5. But the diesel premium on the purchase price over a 118 is huge. I'd rather put 5k into the purchase and immediate servicing of an e46 320d and just drive it until it broke.

exactly why i put the info out there mate.I am not sure 5 l 100 k The 120 averaged 6.5 l 100 k in normal running,5.5 without trying on a trip.As you know it was manual but it had very high gearing

It pays to shop around for your diesel, too.

Gull at Hampton Downs was 84.9 per litre last night; 10kms closer to Auckland and the Mobil is charging 121.9. That's a monster difference.

I've just used the prices on pricewatch.co.nz as a starting point. Currently petrol is 2.049 and diesel 1.209 in Wellington.

Seeing as I only drive for 5 minutes from each end of the motorway journey I get much better than advertised figures. The X5 is currently at 11.5 l/100km after having done 15k in 6 months. So I'm taking the motorway figures to be what I'll actually get.

Edited by martyyyn

I've just used the prices on privewatch.co.nz as a starting point. Currently petrol is 2.049 and diesel 1.209 in Wellington.

Seeing as I only drive for 5 minutes from each end of the motorway journey I get much better than advertised figures. The X5 is currently at 11.5 l/100km after having done 15k in 6 months. So I'm taking the motorway figures to be what I'll actually get.

the caltex self service in kaiwhara is very cheap(for wellington) I know there is a gull in Levin.Where there is a gull station prices tend to be cheaper.

we run 2006+ euro Fords and all of them are boring but good on fuel, and never ever break down except one had a tensioner pulley fail at 200,000 other than that no significant maintenance on any of them they just keep going.

got e46 2003 318i msport in silver :)

170ks

$5k

06 e90 323i 120ks

rough flat black paint over white :( $6k

Avoid the n42 or n46 4 cylinder motor at all costs.

The earlier m43 4 cylinder is fine, as are the diesel and 6 cylinder engines in the e46's.

You will get better mileage from a manual.

we run 2006+ euro Fords....

My head has been saying this for a few years now, but my heart just isn't in it. We had an 01 Focus for 5 years. I hated the thought of it, but every time I drove it it surprised me and left me thinking 'thats not a bad car after all'.

Avoid the n42 or n46 4 cylinder motor at all costs.

So avoid every 316i, 318i and Ti from 2003 onwards ? I've seen the bad press but surely they aren't all bad.

Dare I suggest it- a low pressure turbo like the Mondeo or Saab 9-5. As much room as an E39 and mine averages 9.5l/100k should see low 8's cruising on the motorway - the E39 528 did 10.6 l/100k in the same terrain.

My wife drives an e39 530i now and she gets 9.5 l/100km. But it 's a bog standard NZ new car with standard seats which I can't get comfortable in. I took it on the journey today and it returned 8.1 l/100km which isn't bad at all. But if I can find a 320d or even save a bit more for a 530d and get closer to 5 l/100km it would be and easy swap to make.

If you get another BMW you will spend any savings on a new spoiler or Sears etc any saving dissapesrs, better to buy something you don't really like but won't touch

• Like 2

a 530 d for 5k?Good luck with that mate...if you can all power to ya!

One day... :)

The buy price is perhaps less optimistic than the 5l/100km desired? Dunno... The performance and economy relative to a petrol-engined 5-series does make it attractive.

A 335d won't be available for $5k any time soon, but the performance and economy are something to ponder.

• Like 1

So avoid every 316i, 318i and Ti from 2003 onwards ? I've seen the bad press but surely they aren't all bad.

Yes they are, they will all fail as they all have the same faulty valve stem seals.

• Like 3

Yes they are, they will all fail as they all have the same faulty valve stem seals.

And there's a voice of (sad) experience.

• Like 1

One day... :)

The buy price is perhaps less optimistic than the 5l/100km desired? Dunno... The performance and economy relative to a petrol-engined 5-series does make it attractive.

A 335d won't be available for $5k any time soon, but the performance and economy are something to ponder.

i was quite impressed with my little 120d for both economy and useable performance.I can imagine a 530d or 535d being quite nice thankyou.The latter even less likely for 5 k tho!

Edited by kiwi535

If you get another BMW you will spend any savings on a new spoiler or Sears etc any saving dissapesrs, better to buy something you don't really like but won't touch

Ha, there is that !

Errrr, I did say I would have to save a little more money. I've seen the odd e39 sell for 5-6k in the last 12 months. But they aren't all that common over here.

Yeah, perhaps 6l/100km is more realistic. It's the car I've wanted for a long time, but it may be another year before they drop into the 7-8k range.

• Like 2

Ha, there is that !

Errrr, I did say I would have to save a little more money. I've seen the odd e39 sell for 5-6k in the last 12 months. But they aren't all that common over here.

Yeah, perhaps 6l/100km is more realistic. It's the car I've wanted for a long time, but it may be another year before they drop into the 7-8k range.

are you talking an e39 530d?

are you talking an e39 530d?

e39 530d are few and far between in NZ and those currently available are not worth anything near $10k IMO.

e60 530d would be my perfect car, but it may be a good 12/18 months before they drop to $7-8k. Even then it's a hard sell to the wife.

So far the options are:

A3 2.0 FSI - Claims of ~5l/100km, but I know nothing other than horror stories about Audi servicing costs.
e46 320d - see if I can get a high miler really cheap, do basic maintenance and drive it until it dies.

e46 318i - as above. Dime a dozen but finding a non-molested manual might not be easy.

Focus - great economy, but either a ~2001 manual petrol or ~2007 diesel wagon with high miles and just out of budget.

Mondeo Td - as above.

Pug 407 HDi - ~2007, 6l/100km seems easily achievable and can be had for ~$5k.

TM# 1096280178?

Very nice car for motorway miles. Mileage is up a bit for the price (or price is up for the mileage) but so long as it has been maintained, it'll run more or less forever. It's NZ new so there is a chance of checking the history with a little work (assuming it's not readily available).

Edit: Apologies - I forgot the 'not silver' bit!

Edited by gjm

e39 530d are few and far between in NZ and those currently available are not worth anything near $10k IMO.

e60 530d would be my perfect car, but it may be a good 12/18 months before they drop to $7-8k. Even then it's a hard sell to the wife.

So far the options are:

A3 2.0 FSI - Claims of ~5l/100km, but I know nothing other than horror stories about Audi servicing costs.

e46 320d - see if I can get a high miler really cheap, do basic maintenance and drive it until it dies.

e46 318i - as above. Dime a dozen but finding a non-molested manual might not be easy.

Focus - great economy, but either a ~2001 manual petrol or ~2007 diesel wagon with high miles and just out of budget.

Mondeo Td - as above.

Pug 407 HDi - ~2007, 6l/100km seems easily achievable and can be had for ~$5k.

I havnt heard good things about pugs either,but.....

In case anyone is interested the head won and I went with a 2l, manual, 06 Ford Focus Zetec. After a couple of months it's doing around 6.2l/100km which means just over 800km to a tank costing $96.

It's surprising nice to drive to be honest. Nothing special but it's comfortable (I'm 6'5) and can fit four large kids in easily enough.

• Like 2