Sign in to follow this  
Scrambler

M62TUB44 Availability for Engine transplant

Looking at giving my e36 a new Engine upgrade.

Seen as the M62B46 and 48 are out of the question I was wondering if any one knows of a TUB44 for sale or how hard to come by they are and the general going rate for one.. Thanks

How ironic

• Like 1

There are plenty around, they can be anywhere between 800-1500 then all the accessories and wiring.

Do some research on this as the oil pump is at the front of these motors it usually requires a external oil pump and custom sump for this motor to fit in the engine bay of the e36. Probably why most people use a 1uz or LS engine

• Like 1

I have a M62B35 and trans still sitting in a car if your interested.

For the effort there are much better V8 engines out there to use.

Yes, but not if you want to stay with a BMW motor.

For the money I prefer the m62 over the newer N62 and N63 engines.

The N63 had to be recalled because of so many faults.

If money was less of an object I would chose the s62.

Yes, but not if you want to stay with a BMW motor.

For the money I prefer the m62 over the newer N62 and N63 engines.

The N63 had to be recalled because of so many faults.

If money was less of an object I would chose the s62.

Yeah I can appreciate the originality 100% but you're putting yourself a few steps behind using those M62 motors. I wouldn't touch those N series either. Lets not forget they came from an E65, one of the most unreliable BMWs ever.

The M62 was fine as a new motor, but costly to refresh 15 years on.

If you were serious about using one you'd need to consider these problem areas:

Water cooled alternator - they fail, replace it $1XXX later or try fit a air cooled unit

Electronic thermostat, always seems to be a problem unless replaced, that includes most of the plastic cooling parts that crack and leak.

Block valley cooling reservoir plate, they leak, bolts rust, an engineering disaster, I've never seen an engine with such a design!

Timing chain guides, we all know what that means, special tools and guides are needed, likely new chains too given they get sloppy.

Vanos units need resealing... O rings and seals aren't one of BMWs strong points.

Headgasket failures seem more common in these than the majority of V8s out there from the 90s

Electrical sensors and such related gremlins is another matter again.

There's thousands of dollars of parts and time to just get the motor healthy again, all for a 300hp V8?

Retrofit costs are high too, the sump customization and oil pump changes are a challenge in themselves.

I'm not alone in the negative feedback about these motors, two BMW experts I've spoken to said to stay away from these and not bother, one runs a reputable shop the other was an ex BMW mechanic for 20 years - what does that say?

I guess it's a long term project like you say, but I'd reconsider such an engine choice and use something that will give you the results your effort deserves.

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1

For the effort there are much better V8 engines out there to use.

And it's not a 1uz..

• Like 1

Yeah I can appreciate the originality 100% but you're putting yourself a few steps behind using those M62 motors. I wouldn't touch those N series either. Lets not forget they came from an E65, one of the most unreliable BMWs ever.

Water cooled alternator - they fail, replace it $1XXX later or try fit a air cooled unit

Electronic thermostat, always seems to be a problem unless replaced, that includes most of the plastic cooling parts that crack and leak.

Block valley cooling reservoir plate, they leak, bolts rust, an engineering disaster, I've never seen an engine with such a design!

Timing chain guides, we all know what that means, special tools and guides are needed, likely new chains too given they get sloppy.

Vanos units need resealing... O rings and seals aren't one of BMWs strong points.

Headgasket failures seem more common in these than the majority of V8s out there from the 90s

There's thousands of dollars of parts and time to just get the motor healthy again, all for a 300hp V8?

Retrofit costs are high too, the sump customization and oil pump changes are a challenge in themselves.

I'm not alone in the negative feedback about these motors, two BMW experts I've spoken to said to stay away from these and not bother, one runs a reputable shop the other was an ex BMW mechanic for 20 years - what does that say?

I guess it's a long term project like you say, but I'd reconsider such an engine choice and use something that will give you the results your effort deserves.

Thanks for the very informative post.

Does the m60 has the same amount of issues as the m62?

This is the happiest post I have read today.

And it's not a 1uz..

They're crap. I'm a 3UZ guy now :)

Thanks for the very informative post.

Does the m60 has the same amount of issues as the m62?

A lot less, they are what I would run If an M6X was what you really wanted.

Non Vanos

Normal alternator

Normal thermostat

Dual parallel chain timing setup so are typically more 'tough' compared to the single chain in the M62s

This is the happiest post I have read today.

Just pointing out the reality :P

• Like 1

Original M60 below, note the dual chain setup and the idler gear in the center of the block, a logical proven design, but more costly.

imag0276_jpg_opt605x361o0_0s605x361.jpg

Single row main chain, no idler gear at the center of the block, instead plastic guides / alloy backed curved guide takes the strain. Cheaper to make and more simple.

m62chains.jpg

Also note the valley coolant reservoir without the top plates. There's about 20 bolts that hold them down, often start leaking from the rear.

• Like 1

If the motor is out of the car its easy to replace the chain guides\tensioner, gaskets etc. Probably cost cost you a 1500 in imported parts to sort + your time (which is what a M62 is approx worth). Can't say ive heard of head gaskets being a common issue.

As above if you go the M62 route dont bother with the vanos motor (which also seems to be the worst for destroying chain guides)

I'll sell you mine for 9K, it has had all the above problems addressed, and I will throw in a 6 speed manual, and an e39 touring to get it all home in! ;)

• Like 4

Oh dear indeed.... Had no idea the M62 was such a piece of garbage.

I wouldn't put another manufacturers motor inside anything it just seems wrong, maybe apart from a racing car or off road vehicle so thats out of the question.

Some pretty good info there though, you guys sure know a lot about BMW engines. What is the safest bet to go for then? Something reliable enough but maximum capacity. Was going to get a bell housing adapter from ebay and fit an M50 gear box. Has anyone had any experience with that? (Hope that idea doesn't get poo pooed haha)

I wouldn't call them garbage per say. Michael listed the things that can go wrong(mostly M62TU related), doesn't mean they will. Like any product, if read all the things on the internet that can go wrong with it you'll be scared to buy anything.

As i mentioned earlier if you spent ~1k on preventative maintenance then M62 non vanos reliability isn't an issue. Id say making it fit is probably the bigger problem than the engine itself.

• Like 1

I've had 4x tub44s done a valve cover, nothing else. All high mileage. I love them, but I understand I will need to do work at some stage !!!!!

Cooling systems are a problem but if you transplant no issues, if transplanting your probably fixing most of the potential majors anyway, likely get 80000 is before even touching it.

My two cents

• Like 2

Oh dear indeed.... Had no idea the M62 was such a piece of garbage.

I wouldn't put another manufacturers motor inside anything it just seems wrong, maybe apart from a racing car or off road vehicle so thats out of the question.

Some pretty good info there though, you guys sure know a lot about BMW engines. What is the safest bet to go for then? Something reliable enough but maximum capacity.

You can get an m60 or an m62 bored out a fair way.

I seem to remember reading that they built them with really thick walls.

M62 did have a 4.8litre variant so thats obviously quite doable.

The S62 was 5.0 litres but I dont know if it used a different block.