Sign in to follow this  
Damnative

Cobb V3 Obsolete?

Hey guys,

Still quite new to the 335i community and trying to make head and tail after reading all the forums leaves me with more questions than answers.

Have got a catless DP, FMIC, CP & BOV lined up, but still unsure which tuning route to head down. Initially I liked the idea of the Cobb as it was a seemingly simple solution to get a lot of power, but after reading the forums (e90post, n54tech), a lot of people are saying the Cobb is obsolete now and support from Cobb has ceased. Most people seem to be heading down the MHD and JB4 route.

So my question is, is it still wise of me to buy a Cobb? Will it suit my needs? Or do I need to get up to play with MHD and the like?

I won't be doing any extreme modifications in the future, and the impression I get is that MHD has more options and will allow that sort of thing.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Don't trust hearsay and conjecture. Talk to Cobb.

Don't trust hearsay and conjecture. Talk to Cobb.

Yep, have been in contact with Cobb. They said there have been problems with the N55 DME getting updated and not working with Cobb anymore. I know what you're saying though, but when you get vendors and respected tuners saying Cobb will be obsolete soon it makes you wonder.

I had a quick look at the Cobb website and it does appear that they may have withdrawn the V3 from the products offered for the 335. The Accessport V2 to V3 trade-in is still there, though.

Unusual situation. However, if Cobb say it doesn't work then that may be your answer. ;) To that aspect of what to do, at least.

Edited by gjm

Have seen various feedback on US forums of Cobb for BMW - general feel was the that their BMW software was really buggy and lack of fixes.

I imagine it won't be as seamless as what they have for Mazda/Ford etc.

I probably won't spend that amount of money on something and "hope" it would work.

MHD is dirt cheap and has ongoing support. I say start with that, and if you feel like spending more maybe add on a JB4.

I don't have either (N55 so no MHD support), but I've wasted enough time on forums too see that there is more happening with MHD as the devs are still active.

Edited by Matth5

Cobb is obsolete , they stopped development on the n54 platform a few years ago - I have switched over to the MHD and it's pretty easy and being able to get a Protune was a big factor for me changing from the jb4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.

Cobb is obsolete , they stopped development on the n54 platform a few years ago - I have switched over to the MHD and it's pretty easy and being able to get a Protune was a big factor for me changing from the jb4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suresh, even though Cobb have stopped development, would it still serve its purpose for me and bump up my HP and allow me to change maps according to the bolt ons I have? I mean that's all I really want, I wouldn't be doing anything as extreme as you.

Also, don't MHD and JB4 run together? Are they easy to setup like Cobb?

Thanks for the replies.

Suresh, even though Cobb have stopped development, would it still serve its purpose for me and bump up my HP and allow me to change maps according to the bolt ons I have? I mean that's all I really want, I wouldn't be doing anything as extreme as you.

Also, don't MHD and JB4 run together? Are they easy to setup like Cobb?

Hey Julian,

I would get the MHD over the cobb for the same purpose you are looking for

Haven't looked at what pricing of the cobbs are - last time i looked they were around 800-1000 US for a cobb verus how much for MHD (depends whether you have android device already etc)

Ya - I was running the BMS flasharrow-10x10.png stacked with the JB4 - but now with MHD - no point running stacked mode with stock turbos unless I was running hybrid/single turbo upgrades

MHD is very easy to setup with your car - more then happy to show you a demo if you're in auckland

Hey Julian,

I would get the MHD over the cobb for the same purpose you are looking for

Haven't looked at what pricing of the cobbs are - last time i looked they were around 800-1000 US for a cobb verus how much for MHD (depends whether you have android device already etc)

Ya - I was running the BMS flasharrow-10x10.png stacked with the JB4 - but now with MHD - no point running stacked mode with stock turbos unless I was running hybrid/single turbo upgrades

MHD is very easy to setup with your car - more then happy to show you a demo if you're in auckland

Cheers Suresh, just waiting for good deal on DP, FMIC & CP. Once they're here, I'll give you call.

On 6 June 2016 at 11:07 AM, jake1829 said:

Hey Jake,

Late entry into this thread but just wondering if you had any recommendations on where to get the cables for MHD? Is it pretty straight forwards to just run the datalog and send them the maps of it's current set up and get MHD to do the new maps? Was intending to talk to a local shop but having read through the whole MHD thing a bit more now it seems fairly safe. Will just do a moderate stage 1 tune, haven't done any work to my car yet.

Cheers,
Allan

EDIT - just looked through the app and see there's the standard maps provided in the app, then protune and a few others do e-tunes where you take a datalog and they make you a custom map (standard mhd map probably fine for me tho).

Edited by AllanC

Cobb seems to work all good with my 2009 335i have no issues what so ever. 

Will get s pro tune eventually and leave it at that! 

No question they work as a tuning tool for the 335i. But MHD just has so much more functionality and support. My cobb is collecting dust in a cupboard somewhere

MHD has more engine parameters unlocked and they're still actively looking for more. So the tuner potentially has more control, they can adjust parameters that they can't access with Cobb.

Probably not, Apple restrictions prevent them from interfacing with the OBD cables. They'd have to make it work with the Wifi ones, which aren't ideal for flashing...

You can just buy a cheap second hand Android device from Trademe or somewhere, just need to make sure it has USB OTG to work with the cable. Eg a Nexus 5 would work, a Nexus 4 would not. 

Edited by Matth5

Hey guys what's the cheapest yet best android tablet to use for this.

it will only be used for this one purpose and nothing else ?

Looking at trade me would the google nexus 10 work with the MHD software and the OTG cables?