Sign in to follow this  
drewandkelz

Hand Controls In A 740i

I'm a disables driver and looking at putting hand controls into an E38. Does anyone have any experience of this. Would like to make it as tidy as possible and was wondering if it's possible to make a manual controller that operates a cruise control servo for the accelerator. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Hand controls have to be certified. I suggest you contact one of the certifiers in here. They will be able to tell you the best people to talk to, to do this. From memory I'm sure the brake actuating lever and twist grip throttle have to be on the same linkage assembly. It's been a long time since I've been involved in doing this. I did a few conversions on new Mazdas in the 80's

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/16188-automotive-certifiers/

Edited by *Glenn*

What I'm trying to do is fit something that doesn't go through the trim panel and require the steering column to be fixed. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using electronics to pull a cable instead of levers.

wouldn't you be best to get a later model car than an E38 to do it to? i can't imagine it would be cheap!

Are E38s drive-by-wire throttle control? Because if so wouldn't it be considerably easier to just tap into that somehow?

No they aren't. It is quite simple to tap into drive by wire just costly. An installed system for drive by wire is around 9k. Standard set up is 3.5k

So having been assured that my throttle us cables I find today that it's not its electronic. This is good news. What I'm thinking is I use a second pedal actuator and mount it higher in the dash so the hand controls can operate it. By extending the cabling I can switch between the foot and hand control as required. Does anyone know if the extra cable length will interfere with the signal to the engine.

I extended one on a m70 and had no problems.

• Like 1