Sign in to follow this  
GIantic010

Arrival of the mechanically challenged

Greetings all.

I'm joining bimmersport after owning my 2001 530i E39 for about 10 months.

Like a lot of my generation, I grew up, and learned to drive, in a selection of Datsuns and Nissan's. My first car was a 1974 Datsun Violet, 160j SSS, a car I inherited. However, not being mechanically gifted and conscious of not attracting the unwanted attention of fuzz, I moved onto a sequence of sedans.

That was until last year, when it was decided that my family needed a second car. I saw an opportunity to get something a little more exciting than our Honda CRV.

At first I started looking at 300ZXs, a long obsession of mine, but at long last I concluded that they were fun, but impractical, and also a little small for a man of height.

So I started looking at BMWs until, through word of mouth, I heard of a friend of a friend that was thinking about selling his 5 series. He had worked in France, for BMW, developing the drive train for the series that succeeded mine.

So now I have my own bimmersport, and there's no looking back. I love driving it. It's a great high speed cruiser with enough to make it fun too.

I came across this forum while researching the stereo. I wanted to be able to get the higher frequencies and possibly be able to connect up a aux input of sometime. I've learnt my car is to old to have the global radio and would need to replace the unit with a European model.

Future work well be required on the steering system as the car darts and wanderers a little, and I've also noticed, what guessing is the fire wall, is crumbling away.

Sorry for the long post.

post-53428-0-77288000-1464988703.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice-looking car!

Welcome.

• Like 1

very nice, i do like 300ZX too my old man had one, they are roomy inside (I'm 6"4), they are a big car, but boot is very small. VG30DETT is a hell of an engine though.

Your E39 is the better all rounder, and cheaper to fix if it goes wrong.

• Like 2

gidday Greg, and welcome along. e39's rock. You should find there are Christchurch-based Bimmersporters with e39 experience, and plenty of knowledgable and helpful folk on here.

top points also for adding your location to your profile, for area-specific assistance.

Nice wheels too!

• Like 2

top points also for adding your location to your profile, for area-specific assistance.

this

• Like 3

Future work well be required on the steering system as the car darts and wanderers a little, and I've also noticed, what guessing is the fire wall, is crumbling away.

Our e39 530i MS also used to dart and tramline a bit until we got a proper wheel alignment, at a dealership, with the specified weights added to the car. Drives much better now. Also if there is something worn that will affect your steering they should spot it during the alignment process. Cost $125 - cheap compared to the cost of the tires.

i also beleive that the e34 and e39 are sensitive to tyre size.If you are running say m5 size wheels and tyres that may not be the best handling setup with std "alignment"My e34 was prone to tramling and less desireable traits as the tyres wore

I had to get some new rear tyres rather quickly, recently (double puncture). The rears are Supercars (235/45 R17) and the fronts are Potenza's.

My feeling is a worn joint in the steering system, but in any case a wheel alignment wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

i also beleive that the e34 and e39 are sensitive to tyre size.If you are running say m5 size wheels and tyres that may not be the best handling setup with std "alignment"My e34 was prone to tramling and less desireable traits as the tyres wore

Sounds likely - I got both the 520 (15") and the 530 (235r17" on the front) aligned at the same time. The 520 IMO has a much lighter steering feel and never ever tramlines or bumpsteers while the 530 feels heavier in the hands and sill has the odd tendency to follow road contours - though not nearly as bad as before.

Hi Greg

If your car is a 2001 it should have a world wide tuner fitted already to the radio. Bmw fitted these from 2000 on so run the last seven digits of your vin through a decoder and it should explain all. If not just purchase a later model radio please do not fit an ex-pander they will only make things worse the e39 stock system is not to bad over all.

As for the darting etc as others have said start with a set of good tyres an all wheel alignment by someone that knows what they are doing and go from their.

• Like 1

I have a European tuner if interested. Much superior to the Japanese. Especially outside Auckland

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Okay, so there stereo, I believe, is the BM53. The 16:9, with nav, TV, blah blah blah. My car was built march 2001, and the global radios, I believe were fitted from September of that year. I'm not sure if there is a band expandor but the radio will get upto about 100mhz

Thanks Tim, but I've read these posts. Like I said, the ability to reprogramme the radio came in September 2001.

My only option is to change out the radio for its European equivalent.

that's correct. been there done that

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk