Sign in to follow this  
HSB

2008+ 1 series coupe 6 cylinder or diesel

Hi guys

Who has experience in the new 1 series coupes?

Decided I want to get one by the end of the year. 6 cylinder or a diesel. Budget 25k (would prefer to spend 20k). Been trawling Trademe and Gulliver. Any one able to give me some advices? :)

135i:

https://trademe.co.nz/1096500823

https://trademe.co.nz/1091432646

Diesel (4 cylinder):

https://trademe.co.nz/1097332228

Cabriolet:

https://trademe.co.nz/1092715362

https://trademe.co.nz/1092025634

If anyone has one/has a mate thinking about a selling then let me know. I'm in no hurry doing my due diligence now, but if an opportunity was to present itself then deals can be done haha

• Like 1

When you sit at the lights and hear that 4 pot diesel chatter, you'll regret not buying the Inline 6.

• Like 2

When you sit at the lights and hear that 4 pot diesel chatter, you'll regret not buying the Inline 6.

True, but realising its been 600 km since you visited a gas station will ease the regret a little bit ! :)
  • Like 3

I like it I like keep this feedback coming :)

also check out Mannheim and Turners Auctions not only for more options but to see what various models and options are actually selling for etc.

and may don't buy for Te Awamutu again without getting it checked over lol

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Go away Andy don't tell me how to buy cars hahah

My E46 has been a good girl

• Like 1

lol what happened when she bought from Te Awamutu?

i had a 120d older diesel hatch.Do not be concerned about the diesel chatter you dont really hear it from inside.Just remember you will have the on road rolling performance of a 3.0 but only paying the petrol bill of a 1.5.My round town consumption was 6.5 l 100 k and on a trip it was easy to get 5.5 .So on a trip you could go 900 km on the wee 45 litre tank.However i truly beleive a diesel likes longer runs.Dont buy a diesel if its going to get lots of short runs.A diesel is more expensive to register(no acc levey on diesel at the pump) and you pay $62 every 1000 ks in ruc.In the time i had mine it only used oil and tyres.(about 80 000 k (80-k to 160 k)Most of them will be runflats which were a harsh ride.

lso most diesel pumps are messy(clatex at kaiwharar is cjeapest) and i hate the smell of diesel on the hands which is almost inevitable when you fill up cos the pumps are covered in it

Edited by kiwi535
  • Like 1

think about the sound and smoothness of the BMW straight 6 :D

and as above, I also had the option to go for the diesel variant but went onto the straight 6 :D not regretting it, sounds great, the thing is a lot of fun and looks great :)

Go for the the 135i only if you want high performance. Very fast and fun cars but come with extra potential costs.

The first one you linked is a great combo, DCT and N55 (same as my 335i, same dealer I bought mine from even), which is hard to find I think. If you go for the 135i the newer N55 engine is considered more reliable, but the N54 has more 'cheap' performance potential if you modify it.

130i if you can find would be a great balance between power, cost and reliability. Those engines are known to be very reliable, no turbo but still put out 270hp.

120i... only if you find them cheap, no other advantage to having the bottom of the range engine.

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

lol what happened when she bought from Te Awamutu?

nothing has happened haha .... N o t h i n g

Lmfao

The first one you linked is a great combo, DCT and N55 (same as my 335i, same dealer I bought mine from even), which is hard to find I think. If you go for the 135i the newer N55 engine is considered more reliable, but the N54 has more 'cheap' performance potential if you modify it.

I had another look at it based off you comment and I totally agree! You've actually pointed out a whole lot of things I glossed over. + it comes with an auto sure warranty which makes me happy happy

120i... only if you find them cheap, no other advantage to having the bottom of the range engine.

I have SJ (EUROHO) checking out a diesel one for me Weds/Thurs which is an NZ new, full service history, but high kms. I am looking at offering south of 15 k but will await SJs inspection

In the mean time I'm going to ring and enquire about the one you mentioned first. See what that dealer is willing to deal

i had a 120d older diesel hatch.Do not be concerned about the diesel chatter you dont really hear it from inside.Just remember you will have the on road rolling performance of a 3.0 but only paying the petrol bill of a 1.5.

my mum has a 2011 merc which is a straight 6 diesel, the chatter doesn't bother her, you just get used to it haha

I had another look at it based off you comment and I totally agree! You've actually pointed out a whole lot of things I glossed over. + it comes with an auto sure warranty which makes me happy happy

I have SJ (EUROHO) checking out a diesel one for me Weds/Thurs which is an NZ new, full service history, but high kms. I am looking at offering south of 15 k but will await SJs inspection

In the mean time I'm going to ring and enquire about the one you mentioned first. See what that dealer is willing to deal

123d is a whole diffferent ball game,what i said above plus!!!

• Like 1

Got one! Nice 123d that has Euroho's seal of approval

Pick up in Akl next week, exciting times Posted Image

• Like 1

you will get home EASILY on one tank!.Picjk up a wee pack of hand wipes before you have to fill up..I HATE the smell of diesel

Back in business ya'll. For interests sakes got through 3/4 of a tank AKL to ROTO to WLG - did 700 something kms

Happy as. Love the turbo diesel!

Posted Image

Keeping this one pretty stock. Just tints, calipers painted, smoked indicators and maybe wrap the wheels. V happy with my purchase.

• Like 3

Thanks :) will put more pics up when it's had a nice clean this weekend

That must have been a fun drive, some of those roads heading towards Willington are great fun in a sporty car. Especially Rimutaka Hill Road if you don't get stuck behind slow traffic.

• Like 1

if you don't get stuck behind slow traffic. 

This.

Why do people sit in the right hand lane AND NOT PASS! Ugh. Inside lane passing all day haha

Looks like a nice car, but hopefully wont have this N47 issue.

That's what mechanical warranty insurance it for
  • Like 1

That must have been a fun drive, some of those roads heading towards Willington are great fun in a sporty car. Especially Rimutaka Hill Road if you don't get stuck behind slow traffic.

not much choice now,very few passing lanes,and more traffic than ever ,double yellow lines over the whole hill