Sign in to follow this  
E36MSport

E36 factory and aftermarket options

I have picked up an E36 328 coupe and am getting ready to begin some upgrades. This will primarily be a daily driver occasionally seeing the track but not on a competitive basis. I'm pretty set on 17's however am seeing a lot of different opinions on what will and will not fit. Quite happy to stay with a factory M look with a 225 and 245 staggered fit.

My question is basically around the offset that I need to run the above combo or what other BMW factory wheel sets will fit. For arguments sake let's say 17x8 front and 17x8.5 rear wheel. I figure if I know the required offset I can determine the correct wheel without posting 200 "Will these fit" threads.

Open to any advice and input as to what size wheels to go after.

offset and what will and will not work depends mostly on the width of the wheel in combination with the offset, you cannot look at offset on its own.

for example et35 on a 6" wheel (i.e. more or less the stock dimensions) will have 110mm between the mount face and the back of the wheel, and 40mm between the mount face and the front lip

take the same off set et35 on a 8" wheel, and it will have 135mm between mount face and the back of the wheel and 65mm between the mount face and the front of the wheel.

remember that a guard can be modified, as can the water shields inside the wheel well to fit more outside width into the car (may also need steering rack limiters). however the strut and hub face does not move.

generally as the width of the wheel goes up, the offset must go down.

find a good visual calcutlor on the internet that has a graphic you can punch in the OE rim size and a tyre size, and then lay your intended size over the top and see how it matches up.

in there rear there is much more room to play with. 17x8.5 et13 AC Schnitzer Type 2s are known to fit, you could get away with wider still if you did some guard work.

• Like 1

Style 39 staggers are the size you want and will fit. May be a bit hard to find though.

Style 66 from a e39 M-Sport is the ticket, good offset and size to run the tyre size you want

in there rear there is much more room to play with. 17x8.5 et13 AC Schnitzer Type 2s are known to fit, you could get away with wider still if you did some guard work.

The et13s only fit at the rear if you roll the lip and really stretch the arches. Miss M's E36 had these rims (or copies of them) when we bought it, and a lot of effort had been made to get them to fit, but they still rubbed.

We've fitted Style 73s to her car now, and it looks a little 'off' courtesy of the amount of arch-stretching that had been done.

This doesn't mean they don't/can't fit. It has been done many times.

Style 66 from a e39 M-Sport is the ticket, good offset and size to run the tyre size you want

Just having a look at the style 66 staggered and it's showing a 20 & 26 offset. Found some on TM but not thinking that's going to work well being 20 off of stock. Stock being 41.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/auction-1098979432.htm

I could be misinterpreting the data but after reading the above posts feel like this contradicts the specs. Any images of this fitment with 225 and 245 tyres on an E36? I've found some stuff on the google but it looks like they're running skinny tyres to fit inside the guards which makes my stomach a bit upset.

Edit: Just saw 3 pedals post. Agreed. Not an option.

Edited by E36MSport

Low offset wheels from 5 series chassis fitted to E36's SCREAM """ Fashion moron/ victim""" / Retard ,

Go the factory staggered style 24's or 39's light weight and strong wheels

Any input on options outside of factory?

ACS rims are a good fit on an E36. 17x8 et38.

There's some stock E46 rims in the 17x8 & 8.5 sizes that would probably suit, too.

ACS rims are a good fit on an E36. 17x8 et38.

There's some stock E46 rims in the 17x8 & 8.5 sizes that would probably suit, too.

If using the ACS type 1 16x8 et35s the rear guards need rolling. Had this on my old 325i e36 with 225/55/16s. Filled the arch nicely