Sign in to follow this  
atlantiskiwi

Rear parcel shelf refurb

I was wondering if anyone had replaced the material on their rear parcel shelf? Both on the M3 and 530i have gone purple.

I know you can dye them but I dont want to do that.

Maybe someone has had success in respraying?

Posted Image

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

I resprayed my old sedans parcel shelf using a fabric spray I got from Supersheep. The fabric went slightly hard to touch, but it was nice and black again. Wasn't overly difficult to do.

I don't know how you would get on with recovering it, the stuff looks to be pretty hard to remove!

I sprayed the parcel shelf in my E28 black with VHT Fabric & Vinyl Die, I thought it came out good. It was faded blue before.

Before

25317322934_c4ec2c46c4_b.jpg

After

25364183884_f8c4b59d54_b.jpg

Edited by M M

I got mine recovered at the same time I got my headliner and pillars done. Used the same material and I think it looks great. Upholsterer said it was easier than the headliner.

Was a PITA to get back in though!

As above, have resprayed with fabric paint on nearly every BMW I've ever owned.

I need to do this, looks like the spray option for me

I need fabric spray for something else, any recommendations/links?

Respray seems to be the consensus. But its just not original enough for me. Stus trim in Manukau quited $650 to recover....sounds rather high to me?

Respray seems to be the consensus. But its just not original enough for me. Stus trim in Manukau quited $650 to recover....sounds rather high to me?

Just for the parcel shelf? Way too expensive.

I got my headliner, rear shelf, a, b and c pillars done for $550 all up once I'd removed them from the car.

Just for the parcel shelf? Way too expensive.

I got my headliner, rear shelf, a, b and c pillars done for $550 all up once I'd removed them from the car.

Haha thats what I thought. He's being a muppet.

How stinky is the re-spray?

Obviously you spray it out of the car but how bad does it smell after re-installation and a day in the sun?

• Like 1

Ill tell you soon. I have looked at retrimming and flocking options. Both are ultimate solutions and in excess of $300 which seems crazy. Decided to buy the paint and do it myself. Worst case I can remove the material and do it properly. The hardest part is getting an even result. The spray can has a really focused spray which makes it hard to get an evenly spread application.

Posted Image

post-17746-14654522811156.jpg

Spray painting isn't really a good idea, I did this on my E36 but as soon as something gets on it and you touch it, or clean the rear window and bump the trim it will mark.

I ended up wrapping it with black vinyl, a much more practical repair that can be wiped clean since its a place that dust builds up, especially if you have the windows down.

• Like 1

Spray painting isn't really a good idea, I did this on my E36 but as soon as something gets on it and you touch it, or clean the rear window and bump the trim it will mark.

I ended up wrapping it with black vinyl, a much more practical repair that can be wiped clean since its a place that dust builds up, especially if you have the windows down. 

I noticed that tonight. Im going to do it properly anyway and can still remove the fabric. Out of interest how hard was it to remove? The fabric that is.

I glued straight over the fabric.

Tricky to do, but it came up well.

Didn't ever get pictures but looked factory.

It was a leathery texture satin finish, so had those slight cracks / lines in it for extra depth.

Got a roll from Trade Me.