Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Genuine 850csi

Yeah I was gonna say that. 6.0 Version of the M117..... 385hp!

Too bad they only made like 50 of these :(

• Like 1

yeah, you think the CSI is rare, try getting hold of an AMG SEC!

I'd probably say the R129 SL600 is a better comparison to the E31 than the SEC. V12 and similar body design.

I really think the Bruno Sacco designed Mercedes are just an awesome, timeless design. Both the C126 and the E31 will look amazing well into the future.

I'd take a 560SEC anyday, older tech, style and cheaper to maintain, and don't need a second mortgage for when a service is due on the CSi.

Talking lotto though, I'd probably swap in an M113K and some form of manual transmission.

I'd probably say the R129 SL600 is a better comparison to the E31 than the SEC. V12 and similar body design.

I really think the Bruno Sacco designed Mercedes are just an awesome, timeless design. Both the C126 and the E31 will look amazing well into the future.

I'd take a 560SEC anyday, older tech, style and cheaper to maintain, and don't need a second mortgage for when a service is due on the CSi.

Talking lotto though, I'd probably swap in an M113K and some form of manual transmission.

Ive had both and the SEC really felt like an old car when driving and also has a myriad of vacuum hose problems. It did get a ton of compliments tho. The other gotcha on the SEC is the rust.. its got cavities prone to rust in the best of climates but in the UK or Ireland, its horrific. The E31 drives like a new car (ie you dont feel like you are floating at speed, its got better everything in the normal car sense) and is nicely rust proof.

It doesnt have the insane vacuum hose problems but does have electrical oddities. On the flip side, 2 of everything means you have redundancy (the other engine bank will run, becomes a 6 cylinder) if fault detected.

On the technology and service side;

Servicing a CSi isnt bad at all (though I would do most myself).. its bad rep came when it was launched as a technical tour de force in the 1990's. Its tech is very humble and simple by 2016 standards, a new Honda Accord (as a random example) is 10x more complicated. Really, we are talking semi-sequential injection, copper spark plugs, distributor caps (!!), narrow band O2, low PSI fuel pumps (with 2 for good measure) built upon an low compression engine originally made in the 70s! Its complex but revolutionary Z-link rear suspension became standard in (all?) BMWs after it.

Technology wise, its little more complicated than a M60 engined E34 (which I loved, had 2) and far behind an M62 E39. I also have a Magnesium engined N52 530i E60 LCI, that thing is !! in complexity, but an amazing engine.

Edited by kodachrome
  • Like 4

the SEC rear fender reminds me of the e30 m3. just beefier and more staunch!

I've seen this a couple of times around Wellington. Very very cool. The colour makes it extremely stealth and the wheels are stunning.

What are you replacing it with?

I've seen this a couple of times around Wellington. Very very cool. The colour makes it extremely stealth and the wheels are stunning.

What are you replacing it with?

Cash hopefully! Thinking about moving abroad for work and dont want to subject it to international shipping again (technically the 3rd time in its life!).

• Like 2

Cash hopefully! Thinking about moving abroad for work and dont want to subject it to international shipping again (technically the 3rd time in its life!).

private jet instead .

Updated photos, getting as much interest from Oz as NZ. Would be nicer (and far easier) to sell locally though.

• Like 1

Better photos, nice move.

Sexy as hell, I'd love to be able to afford it. GLWS.

• Like 1

Are those factory engine colours? :o

Nah, BMW arent that flamboyant. Repainting the engine intake is common on the E31 due to the cosmoline buildup which looks gross. I took it a step above silver and black and went with BMW M colours to match the S70 M engine and cover.

Just to note here too that I'm also entertaining part exchange (cash my way) offers with something I could sell before I pack up and leave NZ. I got a couple of such offers along with a couple of guys interested in exporting to Oz (which isnt panning out too well for them atm).

What dramas are they facing? I looked into importing my JK Wrangler to OZ when I was working in the mines but it was far too much hassle than it is worth. The Aussies love their rules regulations red tape BS far too much.

Nice car and be good if it stayed in NZ. With the sort of power the V12s should have had all along.

But to compare this to a 560SEC isn't that fair... These came out when the 10 year old W126 platform came to an end. The W140 V12 or 5.0 V8 coupe would be more fitting, even though none of the big Merc coupes are sports cars.

I have a W140 S500, used to own a 560sec. W126 is better in the corners thanks to 400kg less. 5.0 quad cam kills the old 5.5 at everything. I could only guess the BMW V12 kills both of them in the corners and the straights.

The Oz guys are having problems with post 1989 cars when they dont own them previously. My understanding of their rules is that buying a car and importing is a nightmare. Owning a car and moving it with you is not (especially from NZ to Oz and vice versa). The main Oz buyer backed out as he is afraid of the smoking under hard acceleration I mentioned.. seems to have it in his mind he would need to spend "half again" to fix it, which is nonsense IMO.

Anyhow, just put it up on Cars and Classic.co.uk as I'm not getting enough traction here. The local offers are way too low to even consider.

Its value lies with true 850 enthusiasts, of which there are few in a small population like NZ. I think your pricing is really fair (bordering on cheap) and would pounce on this if I could afford it as I'm one of those enthusiasts. But the combination of 850 enthusiasm and a ready $48K is going to be hard to find here. I hope it stays in NZ but expect you'll have more success overseas.

Yeah for sure. It would be no better in Ireland locally, but does have the benefit of the UK being right beside it.

As far as I can see its the cheapest CSi available anywhere by a long shot:

Car and Classic UK (UK and Europe)

Mobile.de (Europe wide)

Edited by kodachrome