Sign in to follow this  
rxhoon

E46 rear Hub / Axle info

Hi looking for some advice on rear hub sizes and for different e46 models

I have a 318 that now has a LS chev in it and I am going to be fitting a independent Winters quick change diff head,

I am wanting to know what rear hubs and outer CV's are the largest/Strongest so I can start looking for some.

Thanks

You probably want to look at the E46 M3 or the 330D, from memory both have a large case diff so likely to have the larger flanged inboard CV's.

The E46 doesn't have flanged outer CV's so not sure how you plan to get from the diff to the CV (or drive flanges).

By the sounds of the diff your going with I'm sensing some animal action will be imposed on the axles, making them a consumable item...

Do so researching / cross checking on RealOEM (Online BMW ETK parts catalog), as you may also need the corresponding trailing arms that go with the Axles (Outer CV's)

• Like 1

Thanks for that ,

It is much what I had thought I am happy to get custom axles made as the winters uses Porsche inner flanges.

\

Thanks

How is the car coming along?

I'd be looking at getting outer drive flanges made (imagine an old CV with a flange welded on) and use a std-ish / regularly available axle.

If I recall, there are some off the shelf chromoly axles (with CV's) for the VT era commodores (or the Pontic GTO in the US) that are flanged both ends that use the 108mm 6bolt CV's. Like THESE for example.

Even shopping cheaper, the E28 / E34 / E32 use 108mm flanged CV axles, plenty of those in the wrecker yards these days and were used in 2 tonne limos with plenty of power / torque.

The other benefit of that is, the outer drive flanges aren't 'consumables' and you can get then setup to suit a std replacement axle length (eg. the common-whore or BMW axles).

Nothing worse than breaking a custom built part at the track and not having readily available spares.

Edited by E30-323ti

How is the car coming along?

Very slowly at the moment I have just ordered a SLR adjustable arm steering kit from the states and have a few more bars to add to the cage,

Then get it painted and sort the rear end and fit out all going to plan hope to have finished around Christmas.