Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

exhaust modification in Auckland

I live in Botany Downs and have the week off work so want to get this done this week.

I want the mufflers modified and new exhaust tips welded on (I have the new tips)

Straightforward job that involves opening the mufflers to replace some perforated pipe inside with straight pipe (or wrapping it, whatever works).

Google "Modifying the stock exhaust to sound like the BMW Performance Exhaust" to see the procedure if interested.

So far I've had a place called Mighty Mufflers say they can do it but they aren't replying to my emails when I ask them when I can bring my car in (emailed Sunday, no response yet). So they're probably too busy for this week.

Anyone else that's recommended?

Edited by Matth5

Dean at Mr Muffler would probably be able to do it and is a good guy.

Thanks guys, I'll call around tomorrow and see who has time to do it :)

Custom Chambers in East Tamaki... they did all the Ducati mufflers I modified for myself and others

Custom Chambers in East Tamaki... they did all the Ducati mufflers I modified for myself and others

Looking at their website, seems they only do bikes? I imagine they'd at least need someone else to remove the exhaust for them and bring it over?

Dean at Mr Muffler would probably be able to do it and is a good guy.

I called Dean and he was against opening the muffler. Says you can't just open up a muffler and re-weld it because it could fail...

Edit: Gave Mighty Mufflers a ring and booked in Friday :)

Edited by Matth5

Pistop Grey Lynn did this exact mod for me and did a great job. But I found it way to loud, I purchased a used 335i exhaust to play on, but I put the original back on. Cold starts it sound like an exotic super car , but driving around was ridiculous. I still have the modded exhaust it you wanted to have a look at there work.

Pistop Grey Lynn did this exact mod for me and did a great job. But I found it way to loud, I purchased a used 335i exhaust to play on, but I put the original back on. Cold starts it sound like an exotic super car , but driving around was ridiculous. I still have the modded exhaust it you wanted to have a look at there work.

That's good to know, thanks.

According to your sig you have VRSF downpipes. I think that increases the volume considerably? I have no intention of getting catless downpipes so I'm hoping mine is not going to be super loud.

Edited by Matth5

Ok this is starting to seem like more hassle than it's worth. Went down to Mighty Mufflers and the guy said they were flat out busy, asked if I could just leave the car there for the day. I hadn't planned for that so I couldn't.

Was hoping they'd be able to work on it while I was there (expecting it to take several hours of course), I did ask for that while I was on the phone...

Communication fail I guess.

Stopped in at Pit Stop in Botany to discuss with them. The owner wasn't too keen, he said it would take hours just to cut open the mufflers and the bill would be too expensive to be worth it.

Steve, how much did Pit Stop Grey Lynn charge and how long did it take? PM if you prefer not to post it in public. I'd consider buying the modded one off you but I have a coupe so doubt it could fit.

Was really hoping I could do it this week as I was on leave. Such a pain to organise this when these places are only open while I'm at work :(

Edit: Called up Pit Stop Grey Lynn and they're not too busy today, will pay them a visit.

Edited by Matth5

How much are you expecting this to cost? I completely agree with the guy from pitstop. I'd imagine you could get a fairly nice rear section that will bolt in for less than the cost of paying for this 'bmw performance exhaust'

I've had bad experiences with pit stop in the past, and I know others have too, but I also know each branch is very different.

Ok this is starting to seem like more hassle than it's worth. Went down to Mighty Mufflers and the guy said they were flat out busy, asked if I could just leave the car there for the day. I hadn't planned for that so I couldn't.

Was hoping they'd be able to work on it while I was there (expecting it to take several hours of course), I did ask for that while I was on the phone...

Communication fail I guess.

Stopped in at Pit Stop in Botany to discuss with them. The owner wasn't too keen, he said it would take hours just to cut open the mufflers and the bill would be too expensive to be worth it.

Steve, how much did Pit Stop Grey Lynn charge and how long did it take? PM if you prefer not to post it in public. I'd consider buying the modded one off you but I have a coupe so doubt it could fit.

Was really hoping I could do it this week as I was on leave. Such a pain to organise this when these places are only open while I'm at work :(

Edit: Called up Pit Stop Grey Lynn and they're not too busy today, will pay them a visit.

Its definitely not a while you wait job. They have to cut open Mufflers , cut out pipe , weld in new pipe which is tricky as you only have access from top and not a lot of room in muffler. I bought a used exhaust so I could leave with them and also keep my stock one in case I didn't like

All done by Pit Stop New Lynn. So far I think it sounds awesome.

Volume has gone up but it doesn't seem obnoxious. Nice deeper sound and the overrun crackles sound great.

Looks like a good job to me. Their guy cut a section of the muffler on the top so it's not obvious the mufflers were cut open unless you go looking for it.

New exhaust tips look good, not bad for an Ebay find.

post-51449-0-32939400-1466749723_thumb.j

post-51449-0-46629500-1466749729.jpg

post-51449-0-26062000-1466749749.jpg

post-51449-0-21944700-1466749781.jpg

And yes my car is rather dirty...

Edited by Matth5

And a comparison against the old tips...

post-51449-0-73286200-1466751774_thumb.j

By the way, nice to bump into you Steve and see your car :D

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 2

Did you notice any improvement in top end power, or any loss of low end torque?

Haven't been able to drive it hard enough to tell top end. Had a good back road thrash this morning before the mod but not after. Low end feels the same.

Highly doubt there's any performance change, exhaust flow is virtually unchanged.

It sounds faster though :D

What I posted in another threat, to demonstrate the sound:

Will be the same as this one. N55 engine, Performance Power Kit, BMW Performance Exhaust (which this mod matches exactly)

After startup, skip to 1:25 to hear it rev. I love the crackling sounds...

Edited by Matth5