Sign in to follow this  
Haz77

E39 ABS - ASC lights on

Hi,

So for a while my ABS & ASC lights have been coming on while driving, normally when around town under 50kms & not while braking or just after stopping gently say to nip into a shop then re starting the car they are on. every so often they come on while doing 100kms on the highway but never while heavy braking or braking at speed.

When I park up for more than a few hours they must reset & are off when I start the car.

I have changed all 4 sensors & for about 3-400kms thought I had it solved but now they are again coming on.

Any way a service fault check can tell me what the problem is etc?

While reading up on how to change then etc I found some info suggesting that if the "Tone wheel" or "pulse generator" disk is dirty this can be the problem & TBH I think it is, the old sensors where REALLY dirty with dry dust / mud but just how can I clean these properly?

To me it looks like the signal generator is actually the back seal of the wheel bearing which has ridges or pockets to create the signal but is there a drain or opening for the dirt / dust to get in ot out of this area?

one post seemed to suggest cleaning with a wire bottle /rifle brush through the sensor hole another witha rag on a screw driver and another with an air gun, is there any chance of contaminating the wheel bearings & is there any ware for the dirt to go - get out?? like wise can you flush with water or such like through the sensor hole?

I am sure this area is dirty as I travel on 1-2kms of shingle each time I drive the car & the dust gets EVERYWARE!!

Any helps a big help,,,,,

Edited by Haz77

Thanks for the reply's guys, big help/

Will try cleaning out the hubs / tone wheel locations gently with compressed air and low pressure water first as this is $0 cost then I'll call by the local Auto elect & get a price for scan / fault diagnostic then decided wether to just send the module away or try to find the problem first.

I'm in Timaru and can scan your car, Check your PM's for my contact details.

Be aware, scanning the system can be a goose chase with these unless you know what you are doing. They can commonly throw random bulshit codes or even none with a faulty module. You need to monitor live data & even sometimes manually check circuits from the from the unit to determine the fault. Been there & done that!

Be aware, scanning the system can be a goose chase with these unless you know what you are doing. They can commonly throw random bulshit codes or even none with a faulty module. You need to monitor live data & even sometimes manually check circuits from the from the unit to determine the fault. Been there & done that!

I've made the OP aware of that Grant.... by phone.... I'm sick of writing books.... so much easier to explain over the phone

• Like 1

Had the ABS trifecta on my e46. Ended up getting a full abs module + pump block from ebay (came from latvia) for 140 NZD landed (yes, including shipping).

Read a how-to on resetting the VIN via flashing the module and presto! All fixed.

• Like 1