Jump to content
Burgis

Bmw 116i jerking

Recommended Posts

Hi there,, I recently purchase a 116i with 80ks on it.. I feel like when the gear changes from 2 to 3.. There is a bit of a jerk or push but all other gears are smooth..

Please help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread moved to correct subforum :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,, I recently purchase a 116i with 80ks on it.. I feel like when the gear changes from 2 to 3.. There is a bit of a jerk or push but all other gears are smooth..

Please help

Call me in the morning (09) 2722546

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI, I got the same problem. Can you please let me know what is the problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2016 at 5:04 PM, *Glenn* said:

Call me in the morning (09) 2722546

I know it is 3 years ago but so you know what is the problem? Please help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to get it scanned by someone with a brain that has BMW experience

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

You need to get it scanned by someone with a brain that has BMW experience

 

Have you got that sentence on permanent copy paste yet? you must be getting real tired of writing it.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great idea..such constructive criticism by you Andrew

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, *Glenn* said:

What a great idea..such constructive criticism by you Andrew

Perhaps that reads wrong, its not a criticism, saves the rest of us from telling vague problem people to get it scanned.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

You need to get it scanned by someone with a brain that has BMW experience

 

I did the scan. There is nothing wrong with the transmission, just the low voltage battery. I changed the battery and the problem still exist. 

Then I came across this forum and see the guy have the same problem. So I thought I might get some answer form the bmw experienced people here before I spend more of money trying to fix the problem. 

I'm planning to change spark plugs and transmission fluid and I'm not sure that those will fix the problem. Any help will be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bingbo said:

I did the scan. There is nothing wrong with the transmission, just the low voltage battery. I changed the battery and the problem still exist. 

Then I came across this forum and see the guy have the same problem. So I thought I might get some answer form the bmw experienced people here before I spend more of money trying to fix the problem. 

I'm planning to change spark plugs and transmission fluid and I'm not sure that those will fix the problem. Any help will be great.

you did the scan? yourself? a shop? what kind of shop? bmw specialist? 

you have a jerky transmission but then you say "there is nothing wrong with the transmission" i guess you meant nothing comes up in the scan?

Really needs to be looked at by a professional. scanned with the proper tools not just a code reader from ebay.

changing spark plugs and transmission fluid is throwing money and hoping it sticks but trust me, it wont.

 

tell us more about your car.

year, model, imported from japan? when? any service history? mileage? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn’t resist.  Your theme tune.

more info please, folks keen to help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, qube said:

you did the scan? yourself? a shop? what kind of shop? bmw specialist? 

you have a jerky transmission but then you say "there is nothing wrong with the transmission" i guess you meant nothing comes up in the scan?

Really needs to be looked at by a professional. scanned with the proper tools not just a code reader from ebay.

changing spark plugs and transmission fluid is throwing money and hoping it sticks but trust me, it wont.

 

tell us more about your car.

year, model, imported from japan? when? any service history? mileage? 

I got 2007 116i, 70k, Japanese import. My wife just bought it from a car dealer. I drove it and feel the problem and went back to them. They have it scanned and said nothing wrong with it.

Problem is harsh shift from 2-3. Sometime feel like a little slipping or misfire (I couldn't tell) when the gear about to change. 

Then, I took it to bmw specialist as I worried it is the transmission (which cost a lot to fix). They scanned it and told me nothing come back about transmission only 3 things that he suggested me to do.

1. Battery (changed, nothing happen)

2. Spark Plugs (changed, feel a bit better, still a bit harsh on 2-3, re scanned and nothing come up no fault code at all)

3. Relay

The garage told me it might be the coil or they can change the transmission fluid for me but I didn't want to spend more money on it yet. My guts tell me there is something wrong and the car still under 3 months warranty but i can't go back to the dealer when there is nothing come up on the scan tool.
Or I am just too paranoid and the transmission is always like this for bmw or is it the adaptive transmission thing? (I read on the net). I don't know this is my first one(my wife actually).

Any suggestion?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they will say anything to relieve themselves from responsibility. dont believe them.

the model you have is an E87 116i with a 6 speed auto. Not sure what you're referring to about the adaptive transmission thing but i think that point is irrelevant.

does the jerkiness go away once the car has warmed up a bit? does it happen every time or can you eliminate the problem by being "gentle" with the accelerator pedal?

which BMW specialist did you go to? cant be a specialist if they tell you nothings wrong because it doesnt come up in the scan. a scan isnt going to tell you if the trans oil is dirty as hell and going to break down. 

if you are having a jerky shift, then it has to be transmission related, shouldnt have anything to do with spark plugs or coil packs. an engine issue you should be able to recognise it whilst not moving (idle/revving)

 

to be honest, the 116i E87 is just not a great model of BMW, it is known to have leaky engine seals and the power is very low which sometimes means it is revv'ed high to go faster which can result in damage to the engine and transmission if its been treated rough whilst still cold.

I suggest getting a properly inspection done (dont fix anything) and get a report to say transmission or whatever is faulty/worn/not good and try to get a refund from the dealership. there are so many good cars you shouldnt settle for one that has pre-existing issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, as you’ve “just bought it” you have statutory rights as to “goods of merchantable quality”.

if it’s jerky, and unacceptable to you, it matters not that a scan reveals nothing.  Get informed on your rights, and push it back on the dealer.  You might need a lawyer, but better a pet crocodile than a pup, eh?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 9:22 PM, qube said:

they will say anything to relieve themselves from responsibility. dont believe them.

the model you have is an E87 116i with a 6 speed auto. Not sure what you're referring to about the adaptive transmission thing but i think that point is irrelevant.

does the jerkiness go away once the car has warmed up a bit? does it happen every time or can you eliminate the problem by being "gentle" with the accelerator pedal?

which BMW specialist did you go to? cant be a specialist if they tell you nothings wrong because it doesnt come up in the scan. a scan isnt going to tell you if the trans oil is dirty as hell and going to break down. 

if you are having a jerky shift, then it has to be transmission related, shouldnt have anything to do with spark plugs or coil packs. an engine issue you should be able to recognise it whilst not moving (idle/revving)

 

to be honest, the 116i E87 is just not a great model of BMW, it is known to have leaky engine seals and the power is very low which sometimes means it is revv'ed high to go faster which can result in damage to the engine and transmission if its been treated rough whilst still cold.

I suggest getting a properly inspection done (dont fix anything) and get a report to say transmission or whatever is faulty/worn/not good and try to get a refund from the dealership. there are so many good cars you shouldnt settle for one that has pre-existing issues.

I'll go to the transmission shop and let them fully diagnose. If there is a fault with it, I'll go back to the dealer and try to get the refund. I hope they can find something as I will have some proof that something is wrong. Thank you for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bingbo said:

I'll go to the transmission shop and let them fully diagnose. If there is a fault with it, I'll go back to the dealer and try to get the refund. I hope they can find something as I will have some proof that something is wrong. Thank you for your help.

I see you are in Christchurch so go see Ace-o-Matic in Stanmore Road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I see you are in Christchurch so go see Ace-o-Matic in Stanmore Road

quite possibly the coolest name for a transmission specialist anywhere on the planet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 1:06 PM, Gaz said:

I see you are in Christchurch so go see Ace-o-Matic in Stanmore Road

I went to "Auto Transmission" in Christchurch. Guess what, same story. They road tested and scanned the car. Nothing come up on the scan tool. Fluid ok. He said the same thing as the previous garage, "95% of customer that got this problem has engine problem not transmission". So he recommend me to change the ignition coil. 

I had enough of it and will go back to the dealer tomorrow and let them sort it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bingbo said:

I went to "Auto Transmission" in Christchurch. Guess what, same story. They road tested and scanned the car. Nothing come up on the scan tool. Fluid ok. He said the same thing as the previous garage, "95% of customer that got this problem has engine problem not transmission". So he recommend me to change the ignition coil. 

I had enough of it and will go back to the dealer tomorrow and let them sort it out.

Ah, when driving does the gear selector symbol on the dash flash at the same time it jerks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thinking about what the OP has written and whats been said at the different shops, i am starting to think that maybe this is not a trans problem but indeed just the nature of the 116i engine and it's issues.

If you drive the car in tiptronic mode and shift through the gears with appropriate rev's with your accelerator pedal, does it feel smooth and no problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My car dealer bring it to bmw and they update the transmission software. Now it is smooth. I still don't understand how this is related to software.

I hope this might help other people who have the problem which i think it's quite common. 

Thanks all for your help. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bingbo said:

My car dealer bring it to bmw and they update the transmission software. Now it is smooth. I still don't understand how this is related to software.

I hope this might help other people who have the problem which i think it's quite common. 

Thanks all for your help. 

plenty of software in the Transmission Control Module.  Great result; keep an eye on it for a week or two and see how it goes.  Let us know how you're getting on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×