Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

e34 540i M60B44 supercharged 6speed *PIC HEAVY*

Hi guys,

It's been a while since i've posted on the forum, but have been checking in every now and again.

Some of you may remember when I converted my e34 540i from automatic to 6 speed manual in 2010. 5years of fun was had going to track days and enjoying her.

In late 2015 I was thinking about supercharging and started looking into options. Unfortunately I couldn't locate one, at which point I decided to build an M60B44. This is using the M60 heads, valve train and timing equipment and a M62B44 bottom end from an E38/E39 etc.

I chose to regrind the M60 cams to something more aggressive. Standard cams have an advertised duration of 246 intake/242 exhaust. Franklin Cams reground mine to 272/252.

The M62B44 headgasket was used and an oil feed for the original "U" timing chain was blocked as the M60 timing guides are different.

Most things that could be replaced, were replaced.

Several months into the build, I found a supercharger in the USA and thought to myself...why not? It took approximately 2months to arrive, but this gave me plenty of time to actually get it running and iron out some of the bugs. The supercharger arrived ~3weeks ago.

The clutch setup has been custom made/modified by Autoclutch in Auckland.

I have now done 1300km on the rebuilt engine, and it definitely pulls stronger in all gears up to the current redline.
I tried to dyno the car 3 weeks ago, but unfortunately the radiator blew a hole just before the dyno run was about to start. New radiator and heavy duty fan installed as a precaution.
Tomorrow (27/6/16) I have a dyno run to see how it pulls out of the box. This is using the factory ECU/DME for the M60B40. I know I didn't need to do it as I will be installing the supercharger straight off the bat, but I wanted to compare with my Auto dyno run in ~2009. Another run will be done after the supercharger and piggy back ECU install/tune. Aiming for ~400whp with the blower.
A 320lph AEM fuel pump and 42lb injectors arrived last week.
Enjoy.
  • Like 18

Amazing effort! Interested to hear how things go with the supercharger!

• Like 1

That sweet man. Ive always thought about doing a M60\M62 hybrid on an E34 too, definitely the most reliable BMW V8 setup. I look forward to the dyno results.

• Like 1

That sweet man. Ive always thought about doing a M60\M62 hybrid on an E34 too, definitely the most reliable BMW V8 setup. I look forward to the dyno results.

s62 arent unreliable!

Definitely looking forward to the dyno run and especially the supercharger.

• Like 1

M60 heads on a 4.4 block would be fun.

Do you run a geared sprocket in the middle of the block or has it gone to the U shaped guide?

What type of s/c are you using - Im assuming a centrifugal unit?

M60 heads on a 4.4 block would be fun.

Do you run a geared sprocket in the middle of the block or has it gone to the U shaped guide?

What type of s/c are you using - Im assuming a centrifugal unit?

Hi Michael,

The geared sprocket from the M60 is used along with all M60 timing guides.

The unit i'm using is from a Dinan kit. *edit* I forgot to mention is it a centrifugal unit...

Edited by Ian 540i6
  • Like 2

s62 arent unreliable!

Never said they were unreliable but obviously its more complex and higher strung engine. M60\M62 is fairly basic and you can rack up big k's without fear.

Very cool, can't wait to see the charged outcome

Dyno run done. 195kw (261hp) at the wheels and 243kw (325hp) calculated at the flywheel, using standard M60B40 DME/tune. Factory stated figures are 210kw / 286 hp at the flywheel.

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4_XDV8JTU0&feature=youtu.be

post-2030-0-78942800-1467001121_thumb.jp

Edited by Ian 540i6
  • Like 2

Thats a big improvement if your only mods so far are cams and exhaust.

What were your torque results?

Thats a big improvement if your only mods so far are cams and exhaust.

What were your torque results?

Also using a 4.4L bottom end.

Unfortunately the torque readings were stuffed...it said 300nm...which I don't think is right! I would expect somewhere in the 450nm range maybe?

Also using a 4.4L bottom end.

Unfortunately the torque readings were stuffed...it said 300nm...which I don't think is right! I would expect somewhere in the 450nm range maybe?

If the run was done in a gear with a 1:1 ratio i.e 5th for the s420g you can divide the wheel torque by the final drive ratio to get a more approximate torque figure. Easy 200+ rwkw with a tune. Do the cams allow for more top end power?

You can calculate the torque from the power, as long as you know the engine speed. Power is just torque multiplied by the rotational speed, so to get torque just divide power by rotational speed. You will need to make sure everything is in the right units - using SI units you need rotational speed in radians per second.

• Like 1

Yeah but the stupid dyno reading is in road speed, not rpm. Yeah you can calculate it back from tyre size, but really who wants to do that.

I'm probably just a dumb ass but I've never understood why some dyno operators set the axis to road speed.

• Like 1

Any updates on this project?

Hi,

Yes!  I have been updating my personal facebook page mainly, but a summary below.

Supercharger installed

Link Extreme ECU installed

Water/Methanol Kit installed

Exhaust redone

Should be at the tuners in 3-5weeks (personal life dependent...)

Will post pictures and the chronological progress in the coming weeks...hoping for 300wkw / 400whp (ish)

Edited by Creaver
  • Like 2

Woooo exciting.

I remember going in this when you sort of just got the manual all sorted.

What type / boost are you going to run with the charger?

On 9/7/2017 at 8:49 PM, Michael. said:

Woooo exciting.

I remember going in this when you sort of just got the manual all sorted.

What type / boost are you going to run with the charger?

That was a while ago now Mike!

I'm told the setup was running 8psi with an aftermarket pulley, but i'm expecting something more like 6/7psi.  It's a centrifugal powerdyne unit (ex-Dinan)

Yeah I think I'd just bought my gutless 325i at the time, would have been around 2010! 

Keen to see this again once you've got it sorted. 

Not many BMWs I like more than a properly sorted E34 V8 :) 

• Like 1

Made ~276rwkw (~370rwhp) at 5psi of boost without water/methanol. Heat soak was a problem. We experimented a little bit with water/methanol and reduced the intake charge temps from 60degC to 42degC, but didn’t proceed to pull more power out of it. Car is on a safe tune with more to be done in the new year after tidying up a few things. Overall extremely happy... Christmas has come early for me 1f600.png. Thanks Gavin at hi velocity.

• Like 7

Thats great power.

What power were you getting before Gavin did his magic? I'm presuming he did a baseline first.

Also, what is your opinion of the link ecu?

Wow very nice output. 

Going by your NA 195rwkw figure.

The boost theory is 14.7+5psi / 14.7 = 1.34

34% gain, equating to 261rwkw, and you've made more so no doubt the fine tuning and such has got even more out of it with the ECU. 

Good job :)