Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Electric power steering

I wasn't thinking about this, and wasn't even looking for it. It's one of those things that just popped up and had me thinking the 190E has a squealing PS pump..."

http://e28goodies.com/from-mechanical-to-electrical-power-steering/

Can it really be quite so easy? I've followed with an email to George, the author.

Be interested to see what he has to say about it also what the feed back through the steering wheel is like etc. Seems the driver is becoming more and more a passenger plus insulated from what the car is doing

Edited by tim 325

Technically that's just hydraulic power steering with an electric pump. Not heard of anyone retrofitting EPS to bimmers, I'd guess it likes to hook into speed and other sensors, in addition to the spatial differences of course. Be good to loose a bit of weight and the pump drag though...

Technically that's just hydraulic power steering with an electric pump. Not heard of anyone retrofitting EPS to bimmers, I'd guess it likes to hook into speed and other sensors, in addition to the spatial differences of course. Be good to loose a bit of weight and the pump drag though...

The guy who wrote the article suggests 7-21hp depending on circumstances. Of course, that doesn't account for any losses due to supplying power to the electric pump.

I've got an electric power steering pump here. It will draw over 60 amps at high load (tested with clamp meter), but you would average much lower than that.

Anyway, assuming 60 amp load, 13.5v volts, that's 810 watts assuming alternator is 100% efficient which it's not. So prob around 1kW to run the electric pump at full load.

Yeh 7hp sounds way too high for HPS. Maybe if you had some 255s on the front, stationary with a fat bird posing on the bonnet and gave it full lock...

I've got an electric power steering pump here. It will draw over 60 amps at high load (tested with clamp meter), but you would average much lower than that.

Anyway, assuming 60 amp load, 13.5v volts, that's 810 watts assuming alternator is 100% efficient which it's not. So prob around 1kW to run the electric pump at full load.

1kW is... 1.3hp? Probably slightly more.

Still sounds as though it would draw less from the engine than a conventional PS unit, so those particularly keen on performance gains should see something.

I was considering it for the Merc in light of the cost of a a replacement PS pump.