Sign in to follow this  
piiiiij

Long drives in New Zealand

About to do Auckland to Wanaka this week and back the next (hopefully with a bit more snowfall on the way!). The farthest I've driven before is just to Wellington and back.

Does anyone have any tips about long driving in general but particularly catching the car ferry? Are you supposed to be there an hour beforehand to get everything sorted?

My Ferry catching tip is:

Wellington to Picton. Book on the Bluebridge 2:30 am ferry. For an extra $40 you can book a cabin. They will give you early boarding at 11:30 pm. Straight to bed before midnight, 5 1/2 to 6 hours sleep, off the Ferry around 6:30 am (breakfast on board is always an option). You'll have a full day's drive, be refreshed and have beaten lost's of traffic. It's the cheapest nights accommodation in Wellington I've found.

Long distance Travel tips:

- take water with you and drink it, especially if you start feeling tired

- Plan and take regular stops. Driving no more than 2 hours in a hop.

- If there is a lookout or place of interest, stop and each one or every second one etc. Read the placard, enjoy the view, see some of N.Z's history and learn about your country. Oh and that's another fun stop to help keep you awake, safe and alive.

• Like 6

My Ferry catching tip is:

Wellington to Picton. Book on the Bluebridge 2:30 am ferry. For an extra $40 you can book a cabin. They will give you early boarding at 11:30 pm. Straight to bed before midnight, 5 1/2 to 6 hours sleep, off the Ferry around 6:30 am (breakfast on board is always an option). You'll have a full day's drive, be refreshed and have beaten lost's of traffic. It's the cheapest nights accommodation in Wellington I've found.

Long distance Travel tips:

- take water with you and drink it, especially if you start feeling tired

- Plan and take regular stops. Driving no more than 2 hours in a hop.

- If there is a lookout or place of interest, stop and each one or every second one etc. Read the placard, enjoy the view, see some of N.Z's history and learn about your country. Oh and that's another fun stop to help keep you awake, safe and alive.

I dont like stopping, but otherwise I agree with the above! The beds on Blue bridge are not too bad at all.

As you know i drive Wellington to Auckland to Wellington very often, let me know if you want to know the quickest route!

Agree about the water bit. If you need energy drinks, you are too tired and should have a nap.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Agree about the water bit. If you need energy drinks, you are too tired and should have a nap.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Not to mention a 250ml energy drink will have most people stopping for a piss way more often than 1.5l of water!

• Like 2

you are supposed to be there an hour before.I wouldnt be later than 45 minutes before.Auckland welly no big deal.The middle part of the south island i s the "longest bit".

I enjoy the ferry trip,a lot of people seem to regard it as lost time,but its a nice trip in the day time.Its a break from the car and you can have a meal and a nap if the trip itself isnt interesting enough.If you have passengers i think its easier.If you are by yourself i think you have to force your self to stop.

Its 759 km picton to wanaka via the east coast ,and 807 via the west coast.

Edited by kiwi535

I've been known to go to Picton from Timaru via Athurs pass and the West Cost. Nice to get away from the straight roads, sitting there on cruise control for hours. The West Coast puts some turns into the trip. A bit like driving through the King Country instead of Taupo when heading up the North Island. Even better with the top down.

Edited by NZ00Z3
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the advice! That overnight ferry does sound like a good idea in future but won't be taking it this time because it just doesn't fit with everything else. Appreciate the tips and I'll message you about your routes Andy although I do have a few set stops which will determine a lot of it. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Ended up leaving straight after work on Thursday 30/06 at 1700, had a few stops to do on the way through Matamata and about an hour in Hamilton for dinner so got to National Park for the night about 0030 on Friday morning. Leaving at 0830, spent a good two hours in Wanganui and got to Wellington 5 minutes late for our 1430 check in for the 1530 ferry. In Picton at 1900 and Nelson around 2045. Saturday we left at 0900 and went down the west coast through Westport, stopping at Punakaiki for an hour and another hour walking to the base of Franz Josef (so sad to see how much this has retreated in just the last few years) and arrived in Wanaka at 2115.

Skied Cardrona for 5 days. Although there wasn't a huge amount of snow, every day was perfect weather.

Left Cardrona at 1430 on Thursday 07/07 to make it to the lakes while there was still some light, sunset at Tekapo at 1730. Half an hour stop in Fairlie and we arrived in Okuku (about an hour north-west of Christchurch) at 2115. Friday we left at 0915, making it to Picton at an acceptable 1315 for our 1300 check in for the 1400 ferry. After a very harrowing crossing we got back to Wellington at 1800, went up Mt Victoria and left around 1845. Arrived in Karamu between Hastings and Havelock North at 2245. Leaving at 0800 on Saturday, spent about two hours stopped across Taupo and Hamilton and got to Auckland right on 1500 just in time for my football match.

Overall would rate experience 10/10 but have already booked flights for August. I'll drive it again one day.

• Like 1