Sign in to follow this  
l34rn3r

Airbag recalls

The airbag recall is far from over, and I can't see any news about it in NZ, what's going on?

The Takata airbag manufacturer have screwed it up pretty royally and if we look at the criteria of the US recall it is as following..

April 10, 2015
2000-2005 sedans built from June 1999 to August 2005
2000-2006 coupes built from June 1999 to August 2006
2000-2006 convertibles built from December 1999 to August 2006
2000-2005 wagons built from January 2000 to August 2005
2001-2006 M3 coupes built from February 2001 to May 2006
2001-2006 M3 convertibles built from March 2001 to August 2006
May 28, 2015
2002-2003 5 Series sedan (including the M5) and wagon
2003-2004 X5 SUV, but only models with the optional sport steering wheel are affected
Jan 22, 2016
2008-2013 1 Series coupe and convertible
2006-2011 3 Series sedan
2006-2012 3 Series wagon
2007-2013 3 Series coupe and convertible
SUVs
2013-2015 X1
2007-2010 X3
2007-2013 X5
2008-2014 X6
June 2, 2016,
2007-2011 BMW X5 xDrive30i, X5 xDrive35i, X5 xDrive48i, xDrive50i and X5M
2009-2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2008-2011 BMW X6 xDrive35i, X6 xDrive50i and X6M
2010-2011 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid
And if we look at NZ's BMW recall list regarding Takata airbags..
shAC2q5.png
E46 3 Series 1999-2005
Does anyone know whether we can check which airbags we have and perhaps disabling it? or replacing it with parts obtained else where.. any indie garages willing to do this?
As it stands, having this airbag is WORSE than having no airbags in a crash. If you have time I'd beg you to read over the bloomberg article fully and I am not sure what else I can do except to raise some awareness on this safety issue.
  • Like 1

Since its a recall are they replaced at no cost?

Yes they are replaced and it costs you nothing if your vehicle falls in the time period. Their was another thread on here about it with quite a bit of info due to the numbers involved only so many vehicles could be done at one time. Last year I Inquired with the local dealer and they would not comment on it but some three months later got a letter to say could I organize a time for my vehicle to have it replaced.

• Like 1

Had mine done at CJ in Hamilton a couple of years ago.

They charged nothing, valeted the car, replaced the slightly tatty number plate surrounds, and gave the car a many-point check.

Give a main dealer a call and tell them you want your car sorted.

• Like 1

Should be E9x too, I doubt we get different airbags to America. Mine's a Jap import so I guess I'd better ask about this. I guess BMW NZ isn't being proactive and contacting owners?

Edited by Matth5

I guess BMW NZ isn't being proactive and contacting owners?

Wouldn't appear to be.

I have a Honda airbag recall (on an NZ new 09) that was notified in June 2015 - still no sign of anything concrete... so don't hold your breath!

If a car is registered with a main dealer, and the details are current, the dealer will contact you.
If the car hasn't seen a dealer recently, they'll not necessarily know how to contact the owner.

• Like 1

I called BMW NZ about 3.5 years ago, recent japanese import I'd had for about 6 months. They said the local dealer would be in touch when mine was scheduled. Last year I purchased a key, and took the opportunity to ask about the recall. JGBMW sorted it out to be done when I was there collecting my key.

Moral of story: if you've an opportunity to do business with your BMW dealer, it provides an opportunity to get the recall attended to. I'm have the feeling they updated firmware, the car was running better after that.

HTH

Two airbag manufacturers where used in the e46, if you are unsure if yours needs to be done, either call your local dealer or pm me your VIN.

• Like 2

Had mine done under warranty at JG, no problems in and out in 1 hour.

Sounding like USA is about to get the first batch of 45000 air bags for the second recall.

These are large campaigns to gear up for so I wouldn't expect it to be over night.

Local dealer replaced my passenger one during a warrant. No charges where applied.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 6:40 PM, Matth5 said:

Should be E9x too, I doubt we get different airbags to America. Mine's a Jap import so I guess I'd better ask about this. I guess BMW NZ isn't being proactive and contacting owners?

As we drive on a different side of the car to the americans, then it is quite possible we do get different air bags to them, especially in the case of the passenger airbag with the dashboard being a different shape / handed to the car. 

All recalls and quality issues are always handled on a batch traceability process, so a faulty air bag is traced back to the batch it was made in, then the rest of that batch is traced through to the actual cars that they went into. In some cases it can be a handful of cars only, with these air bags it is a wider issue. Once the VINs of the cars are known, then that information is sent out to the BMW companies around the world, and from the local records the owners are contacted.

This obviously requires the owners and their cars to be known to BMW, and their details up to date. Many of the imports have never been near a BMW dealership so there is no information. In extreme cases the NZTA will release drivers details for a recall, but due to people running scared of privacy laws this hardly ever happens.

Mine was done about a year ago, went in for a warrant and came out with a new airbag.

I got a letter in the mail a few month ago from BMW New Zealand stating there was a problem with the passenger side airbag for my E46 330I.

This was done at no charge ( i was really impressed- a 14 year old car!) and the car was groomed. i am happyness filled! I had the car for a bit under a year and BMW tracked me down, it was a NZ new car which might have helped!

I have an NZ New E91 facelift - any other E9X owners been contacted by the dealer?

Unlikely, the list of affected cars is only showing for the passenger air bag are the E46.

If in doubt, give your local dealer a shout.

Andrew T, I gave my local dealer a shout, and they said it's not coming on their system, as it's only for E46 right now. Very tight lipped, as I've been asking them about this for 2years now.

I'm glad at least this is now on the news.

Though, curiously, BMW is missing from the list from several publishers.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/investigation-300-000-faulty-airbags-recalled-in-nz

NZTA says it is aware the faulty airbag inflators are in Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Isuzu, GM, Ford, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu, Ferrari and Chrysler vehicles.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/84925720/300-000-faulty-airbags-to-be-recalled-in-NZ

Faulty airbag inflators were in Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Isuzu, GM, Ford, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu, Ferrari and Chrysler vehicles.

Though, NZHerald do have BMW and as the first item as well.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11721841

The makes included BMW, Ford, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Mazda and Toyota. 

Its just more scaremongering by the media. Whats the point in all this, and then just saying "ask your dealer about it"? Thats not helpful.

To be fair, not all of the car manufacturers / distributors in NZ have been particularly proactive on this issue, some have made no effort at all to find out which (if any) cars are affected and contact the owners. I think that is why the media have picked up on it.

I sent my VINs for NZ new 2001 X5 and Jap import 2004 E60 to BMW NZ and they said they were unaffected. Reassuring (I think :))

Just want to update everyone about this.

Passenger airbags should already have been done or at least should already have a notice about it.

Driver airbags I have it on good authority that if you own a NZ new car, it's happening soon and you should be contacted. However if you own an import ... you are apparently sh*t out of luck as BMWNZ isn't recalling these vehicles I am told.

Interesting position if true.  

Consumer protection website says to call BMW. Guessing this could get quite political for BMW NZ and damage the brand as a result.

Where do BMW stand legally if a large group of jap origin owners grouped together and legally went after BMW on the grounds of a world wide recall. Would the group go after BMW NZ or BMW Ag ?

Thoughts anyone ?