Sign in to follow this  
l34rn3r

Airbag recalls

On 8/29/2016 at 1:35 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Unlikely, the list of affected cars is only showing for the passenger air bag are the E46.

If in doubt, give your local dealer a shout.

On 10/15/2016 at 11:37 AM, andyb184 said:

here the official recall notice if anyone is interested....

E46 Airbag TSB.pdf

14 hours ago, M3_Power said:

Just want to update everyone about this.

Passenger airbags should already have been done or at least should already have a notice about it.

Driver airbags I have it on good authority that if you own a NZ new car, it's happening soon and you should be contacted. However if you own an import ... you are apparently sh*t out of luck as BMWNZ isn't recalling these vehicles I am told.

M3_Power.  It's a global recall for the BMW e46, and the offending item is the passenger airbag, for certain models.  As stated earlier in this thread, if you contact your BMW dealer - or indeed helpful Bimmersport members offering to assist - you can determine if your vehicle is impacted, if the work has already been done, and make arrangements to have the work actioned if it is outstanding.   Mine was not an NZ-new vehicle, it was covered by the recall.  

There is no information to suggest the e46 drivers airbag is included in the recall.  I think your post does a disservice to the work of BMW NZ and their dealer network.  

Or were you, perhaps, referring to models other than the e46?

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

M3_Power.  It's a global recall for the BMW e46, and the offending item is the passenger airbag, for certain models.  As stated earlier in this thread, if you contact your BMW dealer - or indeed helpful Bimmersport members offering to assist - you can determine if your vehicle is impacted, if the work has already been done, and make arrangements to have the work actioned if it is outstanding.   Mine was not an NZ-new vehicle, it was covered by the recall.  

There is no information to suggest the e46 drivers airbag is included in the recall.  I think your post does a disservice to the work of BMW NZ and their dealer network.  

Or were you, perhaps, referring to models other than the e46?

Read my post. Trust me the driver airbag is also being recalled.

BMWNZ has been replacing the passenger airbag for over a year now as part of the global recall so hopefully they are up to the last of the lot by now (imports included).

I am not doing BMWNZ any dis-service, simply stating what I know on a personal front. Word is they will only replace the driver airbag if the car was sold NZ new but at this time no plans for imports. Whether this will change I have not been told.

I know a lot of people on a personal level at BMWNZ so i get various inside information every now and then. I asked about the driver airbag for the E46 as I knew this was being recalled, so I am simply relaying this info for the public to know a bit earlier. You do not have to believe me.

Edited by M3_Power

thanks for the clarification.  Can you furnish any recall notices from BMW - in any country - for the e46 Drivers Airbag?  I'm certainly interested, as my vehicle could be impacted. 

However, in the absence of any BMW recall notice, you can appreciate universal skepticsm.

regards...

so my 1998 E46 doesn't need it done right?

• Like 1

So spoke to bmw today and they say they have a massive shipment of drivers side airbags on the way via sea.

They expect them towards the end of the month and can do both drivers and passenger sides at the same time.

Does anyone know if the airbags to be replaced in the e46 are the ones in the doors, or the ones in the dash, or the ones in the a pillars?

1 hour ago, zero said:

Does anyone know if the airbags to be replaced in the e46 are the ones in the doors, or the ones in the dash, or the ones in the a pillars?

Dash and steering wheel. 

Again, if anyone wants any clarification on your vehicle, feel free to pm me the last 7 of your VIN.

• Like 1

Thanks Gaz.

On 11/3/2016 at 10:28 PM, M3_Power said:

Just want to update everyone about this.

Passenger airbags should already have been done or at least should already have a notice about it.

Driver airbags I have it on good authority that if you own a NZ new car, it's happening soon and you should be contacted. However if you own an import ... you are apparently sh*t out of luck as BMWNZ isn't recalling these vehicles I am told.

I double checked on this and we have a number of vehicles we are replacing the drivers ones on, imported or NZ New. However not all E46 drivers ones need replacing. Some E53 and E39s are also affected by the drivers airbag. 

24 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I double checked on this and we have a number of vehicles we are replacing the drivers ones on, imported or NZ New. However not all E46 drivers ones need replacing. Some E53 and E39s are also affected by the drivers airbag. 

think the drivers door airbag on our 320d was replaced. To be honest - I couldn't remember for sure, so kept quiet rather than contradict anyone!

Drivers notice has only been released in the last ~2 months or so

Is there a way to check if an airbag is apart of the recall without having the vin of the car? I.e part numbers on the airbag unit.

My prefacelift M5 was fitted with a facelift M5 steering wheel from an 03 M5, but the airbag came from another car, possibly e46 or e39 that is included in the recall.

15 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Is there a way to check if an airbag is apart of the recall without having the vin of the car? I.e part numbers on the airbag unit.

My prefacelift M5 was fitted with a facelift M5 steering wheel from an 03 M5, but the airbag came from another car, possibly e46 or e39 that is included in the recall.

The airbag manufacturer should have a list of the serial numbers affected which BMW AG would translate into VINs.  BMW Head Office may be able to help or the airbag manufacture. 

I've had my E39 M5 (ex UK) airbag replaced today. I contacted BMWNZ about a month ago and they advised me to contact an authorised dealer. It included a new cover and emblem. So I'm a happy chappy.

BMW steering wheel.JPG

• Like 3

I had the e39 03 530 MS steering wheel airbag replaced on 28th December.  The e39 03 M5 is also due and will be done sometime this month.  Steering wheel only it seems. At Coombes.

• Like 1

Got a call from Continental today to say that my driver's airbag was ready and ask if they could they book me in next week.

Had to tell them the car's up on stands and that I'd call them! :D

On 25/08/2016 at 2:32 PM, Andrew said:

I have an NZ New E91 facelift - any other E9X owners been contacted by the dealer?

Update on this..e70 71, e83, e87, e9x JAPAN imports are also confirmed affected. Airbags are on order with no ETA.

Currently NZ New vehicles are ok. 

Again if anyone is concerned PM me you VIN and I'll check.

• Like 1

I still haven't heard back from BMW so will give them a call tomorrow.

I got a letter saying my car needed the airbags physically checked. Seems it was in a batch that could be affected, but needed checking. Brought it into Jerry Clayton, hung out for an hour and read a book. They cleaned the car nicely, said not affected as sent me on my way. Would do again. ?

On 4 November 2016 at 4:19 PM, M3_Power said:

I am not doing BMWNZ any dis-service, simply stating what I know on a personal front. Word is they will only replace the driver airbag if the car was sold NZ new but at this time no plans for imports. Whether this will change I have not been told.

I know a lot of people on a personal level at BMWNZ so i get various inside information every now and then. I asked about the driver airbag for the E46 as I knew this was being recalled, so I am simply relaying this info for the public to know a bit earlier. You do not have to believe me.

Only just seen this so apologies for the late reply. Either you are paraphrasing the response or the person you spoke to doesn't know what they are talking about. ALL vehicles in NZ that can be traced, if affected, will be recalled. The list of affected air-bags and hence cars is changing almost daily as it is on a car by car basis.

I thought you had burnt all your bridges with BMWNZ staff after your little tanty over not being invited to M Festival? Clearly you are still bitter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Only just seen this so apologies for the late reply. Either you are paraphrasing the response or the person you spoke to doesn't know what they are talking about. ALL vehicles in NZ that can be traced, if affected, will be recalled. The list of affected air-bags and hence cars is changing almost daily as it is on a car by car basis.

I thought you had burnt all your bridges with BMWNZ staff after your little tanty over not being invited to M Festival? Clearly you are still bitter.

So do we contact our local dealer or BMWNZ if we want to check in and make sure our car is on the list? I.e - make sure they can trace it. 

Edited by NZ BMW

31 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

So do we contact our local dealer or BMWNZ if we want to check in and make sure our car is on the list? I.e - make sure they can trace it. 

Your dealer. The dealers system talks to Germany and Germany tells us what is affected. Or msg me

I've been told delays of 'months' - I'm in the queue, so just have to wait I suppose? 

37 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

3 minutes ago, m325i said:

I've been told delays of 'months' - I'm in the queue, so just have to wait I suppose? 

For me, I got a letter saying mine had to be physically checked. Called Jerry Clayton, made an appointment on Friday for the Monday. In and out in an hour. If they need to change the bag, it might take longer, but the initial process is the same.

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 1

Really? 

I called them both and they both said months to wait. Maybe they know I need a replacement?